The closing on my Grandma's house was last Friday. The previous week she was checked into the hospital with a possible virus and pneumonia. Once there she got worse, so much so that they checked her into ICU...
Meanwhile, leading up to the closing my bro, sis, and dad continued the packing. Grandma lived there 53 years and has a LOT of stuff. I called them a few times that week and heard the stress/humor/sadness all tied into this big deal of moving and big deal of a sickness that may take my Grandma. And I was just plain missing it all...
When I called my dad on Father's day the conversation went something like this:
"you in the neighborhood? Stop on by..." (he is laughing)
"I wish I could"
"how about you pay the shipping and I will send you this ten pound dinner bell" (among the many 'collections' my Gma has, one is 'bells', the pretty kind that ring when you dangle them) We both LOL.
(he continues)"you should see Julie and Herschel looting this stuff"
"REALLY?!" (I sound shocked because I can't believe there is a lot they would want to loot)
"Naw, not nearly enough!" and we both chuckle again.
and I am thankful for this conversation, both weighty and light at the same time, and my dad who can always make me laugh, when what I feel like doing is crying.
Aunt Beth, Julie, Herschel, my dad, have been champions through all of this and it is not over...the hospital saga continues and the decisions get weightier. I am praying for you guys and for Grandma of course. I thank God for each of you, more than you will ever know.