I am not sure when the bug bit, or how it started, but our kids really started wanting skateboards.
We didn't think they were quite serious.
We said they could use their own money and they did.
These are not expensive boards, for sure. But they are fun.
I texted my friend:
If we want to keep our kids OUT of the hospital, why do we keep buying toys like this?
Before David walked out the door with the kids to the store we started talking about best skateboarders of all time. I said:
"You know where he is from right?..Rodney...Rodney...what was his name...?"
"Where? Gainesville?"
"Mullen, yes, that's it! and Yes, from Gainesville."
"Indeed!" (David really didn't say 'indeed' but it sounds more fun. He said "of course," with a smart aleck smirk)
(and since we have this ongoing joke that everything is 7 degrees separated from G'ville, from many NFL football players to Tom Petty to a few famous serial killers, we laughed hard)
No but really. I then went on to tell the story, the memories that came flooding back...
My dad (Granddaddy Johnson), skateboarder and surfer that he was (and still is at times, when the surf is up), used to take my brother (Uncle Herschel) skateboarding.
They had their 'spots' around G'ville. I remember one in particular, Julie and I would ride our bikes while they conquered the hills and did their tricks.
I think there were a few Rodney Mullen sightings, he would be in the O'Connell Center parking lot doing tricks or something and we would go (this may not be altogether true...I just have a recollection of it happening jumbled in my brain).
And then there was the skate park in Jacksonville...Whoa. He took us there too. Kona, or something like that...these really are pleasantly fun memories that make me wonder how my dad had the time to do such cool stuff with his kiddos....
....because he really actually enjoyed the 'stuff', and really actually enjoyed us. He took the time. What an encouragement to me, to get 'in the pool', and not just sit on the sidelines and watch my kids.
Then....we found youtube videos of Rodney Mullen to show the kids....and David mentioned Tony Hawk as being equally good...so we found some and showed them more....
Just remember kiddos, they make it look SOOOO easy.
And just to be sure I googled 'greatest skateboarders of all time'
#1 and I quote: Having created the kick flip, 360 flip, pop shut-it, heel flip, and many other tricks, it’s safe to say Rodney Mullen is the greatest skater of all time.
(Tony Hawk was #2 and actually mentioned as the 'most popular')
But watch out all, here come the Coker Kids....:)
They bought their boards and returned to get started.
I actually tried to get on and thought they were narrow and FAST. (in other words I about busted my tail.)
They gave us the above board which could hardly roll and was good to get your bearings, balance, and try a few tricks.
In the first 20 minutes David doubted his choice, probably because I was the usual skeptic.
But, twenty minutes after that, many Cokers proved competent.
I have to say, David was amazing. A skill, 13 years into marriage, I didn't know he had. But because he is a good soccer player and dancer...of course he can skateboard (my own logical fallacy I know).
He taught them well.
Sophia was able to go fast and keep going, she learned the way to move her body by leaning and bending knees for direction. Bella picked it up quite fast too, though a little more timid. Even Tobin, after working with him, was really getting the bend in the knees just right. He still doesn't have the speed he wants, but he is working on it. And yes, they are all, every last one, bruised up quite a bit.
And pipsqueak?
She enjoys a ride too...
More pics to come!