You keep getting smarter….not thought possible,
but your humble heart knows it needs to keep learning in all things. I LOVE
that you keep me honest in kettle bells, nutrition, medicine, bible knowledge,
Bible dependence, God-dependence in parenting, searching for knowledge…to KNOW
HIM more through His word and the blessings of other's wisdom.
You keep on the plan and planning more…dreaming
and dreaming big...the parenting plan…the life plan…the education plan for
yourself and the kids. This comforts me more than you know. You are not a
suibian (Chinese for 'non-chalant, go with flow') kind of guy, you are methodical, purposeful, and most importantly, you
execute.
You keep on asking others….with the plans…they
are not yours, you know you live dependent, you seek HIS face in it all and you
ask and ask others their wisdom, advice, counsel. Volumes, this says volumes
about your humble heart.
You keep being willing to adjust and be
teachable….this is a nuance on the 'getting smarter' and 'asking others' part. Maybe the plan is
off-kilter, maybe things fail, you analyze, pray, adjust and seek his face. You
are not afraid to find a weakness as you assess. And not afraid to show me my
weakness and how it affects big picture stuff. I need the re-focus and I need
you to stay teachable so you can lead me in THE way everlasting.
You keep an open mind to those that differ from
you. You have always been this way, especially in theology. This humility spurs
me on to keep on open mind too, every one has something to offer, you are not
threatened by the differences, you are secure in your theology and the thought
that you don't 'know it all'.
You keep wrestling with our kids…when I scream
stop you keep on and keep laughing and it never fails when they say what they
love about you it is this. You love them enough to keep them tough and tickle
and roll with them on the floor.
You keep dancing with me…I love that you have
rhythm, one of the first things I noticed really as we went swing dancing. You love the common grace of music and
you love to move to the beat and keep me there with you.
You keep playing soccer…this is certainly sexy. I
didn't think I would find a guy who loves soccer like I do…but you love the
game, you are awesome at the game, and you still know it is the only game in
town…we are soccer snobs and I don't apologize for that.
You keep friends. I noticed this when we met.
Your good friends, were good friends. They were loyal and they loved you
and it went both ways, you played hard, laughed long, and dug in all the nitty
gritty with those special few, and you keep on with them in the same way today.
You keep influencing. Tied into everything else
but with one nuance. You desire to leave a legacy, you desire to have impact,
you desire to see lives changed, and none of this for your glory. Your legacy
is making God great and that drives you to keep influencing for all the right
reasons, even when the world tempts you to gather your own fame.
You keep your heart pure. I thank God for this
daily, and pray for it daily too. But that you are so vigilant to guard your
heart and mind in order to protect yourself, me, and our family from gross
sin…this calms my heart, my heart that is in your hands. You know the weight of
it and you know the schemes of the evil one trying to destroy. Thank you for
taking this so seriously.
You keep seeking to be a peacemaker, in our home
always, with extended family, in every relationship you take the low road, and
you drive me (pull me) there with you. I am always learning from you in this.
You keep on laughing. You don't take things too
seriously and this keeps our family rolling, you play the joke, take the joke,
and enjoy life. It is contagious. Please, keep us laughing.
You keep on laughing at yourself…humble enough to
not sweat the small stuff, and not take yourself too seriously either. This is
a balance you have mastered.
You keep teasing. I used to take a joke better
and surely I need to, so please keep teasing me and our kids, it is so good for
our souls to be teased in fun and flirt together still…thanks for keeping at
this.
You keep kissing…to the 'ucks' of our kiddos,
this keeps us all secure in your love for our family and me.
You (don't) keep me guessing. I am completely
confident in your love and fidelity. You communicate well and often and pursue
me with tender love. I don’t have to guess what you're thinking…there are no
games with you. Only honesty and security.
You keep forgiving. I am thankful you are a
vow-keeper! I have sinned against you in some horribly ugly ways and you draw
me close, hug me tight and offer your life for mine still.
You keep protecting us. From ipad time to bad
guys, you stand up to protect our family from each other, from sin, from the
evil one and evil people. Your deep convictions are a force to be reckoned with
and I am thankful for them.
You keep me knowing the best is yet to come.
Perspective. This has to do with not settling, in marriage, in family, in daily
life…when things have been mediocre, you remind…you lead, you describe God's
hope for us in every aspect and it inspires me to live in the reality of our
future hope and daily strength.
You keep me honest. I love your pure ethics, no
fudging on anything. Even in the country we live in, you seek an audience of
ONE in all of your dealings on copyright, finances, everything. You are a man
of integrity.
You keep me from financial worry. Like everything
else, you manage well to protect your family. You give up to gain, you show me
a more sacrificial way, and you still know the blessing of wisdom with
finances. Thanks for giving me peace of mind.
You keep me from the worst parts of myself. You
are always leading me, even in ways unknown to you, to turn to Christ, to
remember my Union, to rest in REALITY, to not wallow or sulk for fight or
curse. I know I have a long way to go but you keep me from living in guilt and
shame by continually showing and telling me of the one who bore it all.
You keep dying. Death to self, this is what I
daily see. No, you are not perfect, but this I see victory in daily. When
ugliness comes your way (a nagging wife), when words that hurt are spewed forth
(children), when chaos ensues…I see Christ. I see him in you as you take a deep
breath and gently remind us all of the way of wisdom, the way of the cross.
Thank you, thank you for taking up your cross daily for the sake of the gospel
in our family. Death by living real and living large, and living hope and
living true.