Friday, December 10, 2010

These crazy conversations...

Okay, so Sophia still wants to call didi (pronounced deedee, means little brother) Winnie the Pooh, or Pooh Bear...
Some of the following conversations may be repeats, sorry. We are constantly amazed at how well children learn language, their mother tongue and second languages. Sophia is starting to speak some local dialect, she can mimic so well, and sounds like she is from here sometimes, which actually she kind of is....
We don't have conversations from Bella, but she too can say some Chinese words in the proper context!

(this conversation was in Chinese with a shop owner):
lady: Where are you from?
S: I am from Ms, (our city),
lady: Are you American or British?
S: I am from Ms (our city) !!!

'Thank you God for answering our prayers and giving us a didi, thank you for the baby in mommy's belly'

(listening to the Audio Bible for the first time):
'I can hear God!'

"Mommy, when Bella wakes up her default word is always 'baa baa'",
(now you are wondering how in the world she knows what 'default' means. David often used to say Bella's default word is 'mommy' which it is. Sophia picked up on this and did use the word correctly. If you asked her what 'default' means she would not know, but she does know in some sense and she uses it correctly, a good argument for language learning process that helps you 'learn language as language' and not just memorize vocab.

'daddy I don't feel well'
'what hurts, honey'
'umm...my arm'
'you are not telling the truth are you?'
'no.'

Pretending:
'Bella, this is big Caleb' (Bella doesn't respond)
(to pretend 'big Caleb'): 'She doesn't want to talk because she does not love you this much'

(we think this conversation was with Daddy but we forget, we will just say it was :))
S: What is that smell?
D: what smell, I don't know.
S: I think it is your feet.

when cutting paper and she started going a little wayward with the scissors:
She looks at the scissors with a smile and says sternly: "No. No Ma'am.'

Sophia also loves to make up songs on the spot, and often they are pretty good!