Xiao Wang, a friend who used to work at the factory where David and J are affiliated, got married at lunch time on Christmas Eve day. This really worked out perfect for our whole family to attend. Most Chinese weddings, depending on how well you know the person, go something like this: you arrive, get seated, eat your meal, wait for them to come around and toast and then leave. It doesn't go on for hours like some receptions in the States.
The restaurant where the wedding was held. We were seated on the second floor. It was a big wedding!
they carry the food in on trays like this.
Sweet rice with bean paste in the middle.
David loves this stuff, it is xidoufen, a powdered tofu stuff that becomes a gel like substance with hot pepper, soy sauce, and cilantro on top. sounds gross, really not bad. I, of course, was only eating rice that day. Too bad because the food looked pretty good.
standard raw pork dipping sauce to the left, with a very HOT pepper in it
shrimp, steered clear of this!
The couple goes to every table for a toast with wine, but always always, people slip in the hard liquor and make the couple drink.
pretty toasted by the time they got to us, one of the last tables. I don't know how these women can handle the booze. I told David I would be dead on the floor if I drank that much rice liquor. It is seriously strong stuff.
This was not all the dishes, they also brought chicken and duck, which the girls ate up!
we were very glad we were able to go to the wedding.