This blog is about our life here in Asia. It is about trying to do life, the Christian life, in a way that actually means and displays we are 'Christian'. How well are we loving God and others these days? It is not a duty (or should not be), it is a passion (or should be). And of late, the blogging lull simply displays a lack of passion for displaying (admitting) what has been a poor display of Christ in me. Who wants to be passionate about telling others about their sin? Except that if I don't I rob God of all glory for His work on the cross to take it all away. And He has done that. And He is working sanctification in me, and the depths to which I see my black heart helps me soar to the heights of knowing and experiencing his love for me in His Son. Whew and Amen.
And I have been doing that. I have been experiencing the gospel like never before. And I tell you it is hard too. The hope comes so real and refreshing. The rest and peace found in a perfect life lived in my place is my hiding place these days. But the burdens carried are not easily released. The 'slough of despond' tugs hard to get me to believe so many lies. It is a real fight some days, to the hiding place. But it is worth it.
God has refreshed my soul through his word and pointed me to the cross where I live and die and live again. There is hope for change in me, because the same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead lives in me. I forget this every day. I fear too much of everything because I think I am in control of things and that it all depends on me. But I am learning the fear of God (again), a gracious, tender, compassionate God, who mercifully resurrects and makes all things new. Peace and Rest is found in His nearness. And it so good to me (Psalm 73)!
Practical things that have helped me fight the good fight:
- Waking up before my children no matter how the night has gone (I know depending on the season of life this is not possible for some) (and I have returned to being a full-fledged, full-test coffee drinker).
- Praying through my prayer cards that are filled with scripture, ideas from A Praying Life.
- Having a quiet place to pray: my window bench, even if just for ten minutes.
- Telling people I am struggling, getting specific, and asking for their prayer (everyone should have their go-to gals/guys). Of course David is my backbone in this area!
- My sis recommended this book: The Enemy within, I picked it up, dove in, and it is very helpful! My brain cannot handle the real John Owen right now...this is perfect.
- Reminders on the wall. This does help me remember.
This is from this post: The 4 minute marriage habit. By Ann Voskamp, summarized here:
The 4 Minute Marriage Habit:
How to Fall in Love Again in Four Minutes A Day
It only takes four minutes a day to move into a deeper heart place. Four minutes a day to connect, deepen the communion. Live koinonia.
Who doesn’t want a deeper relationship?
1. Four Focuses
Four times a day focus on the love you vowed. When I leave the marriage bed, leave the front door, when I return to front door, return to marriage bed. These are the four critical archways of time in our day. Touch or whisper a sweet nothing when passing through these gate points, and we walk into hours of closeness. It’s the focus that makes old love fresh love.
2. Four Embraces
Four times a day, embrace. Embrace fully and hold each other’s eyes. That’s all. Repeat four times daily. The one flesh breathes best when the skin pores are close; connected.
3. Four Affirmations
Four times during the day, thank him.
For working faithfully, for hanging up his towel, for putting gas in the van, for making this heart skip a wild beat. Look for the ways to thank him and watch how he moves closer.
Words on the wall. You can use dry-erase markers on our kitchen wall tile. So convenient.