I say somewhat rare because our kids are maturing in their obedience, though it takes constant training. So the days of kiddie goodness are becoming more and more, not altogether rare. But there are days that surprise me, I am geared up to play referee or manage or discipline, and the smoothness and peacefulness surprise me.
On this day, Sophia had a friend over for a play date and then another friend came over, Tobin woke up and got in the mix. This usually always causes some sort of angst in someone. Sometimes there is exclusion, fussiness, whines, tempers, the usual (hitting by Tobin, he can sock a punch).
But this day. These five kids played. They played so well. Now, they were playing house, and each had their role, maybe that had something to do with it (doesn't God know how roles help in order and peace, the Bible tells me so...I won't take this analogy too far with these kids, but it was interesting).
There was a dad, a mom, a puppy dog (Bella, she loves it), a girl in college, and Tobin was maybe just a kid doing whatever they told him.
It actually was not raining, but they made a house and started in on food, had beds, etc.
Bella does tend to do the opposite of what we ask (like 'smile')
Goof ball of fun....she is. Still this was a good day. Surely if all five were mine they would be at each other's throats??? who knows, maybe not.
The next
morning, David said, quick, get the camera. They were all sitting so
nicely together during family devos. Usually I am helping Tobin sit
still with a book, while the girls are expected to fully listen and
engage. But this morning, they were all there.
And, I highlight these moments because they are good, and we do celebrate, but the day in and day out of impatience, fear, pulling-my-hair out in parenting is way more common, and in those moments I do not grab the camera, I cry out to the Father, and try to rest in His wisdom of raising these blessings. Mostly I rest in His forgiveness for failing to cry out and depend fully on Him in those moments (just being honest).