Let's start with something positive, aren't these kids hilarious?
And look at that boy, handsome and sweet?
He is...but... I threw in the towel today, on day 4 of potty training. It is not that I expected him to get it in 4 days, I just didn't expect the stubborn will and all his tactics at refusal....
Day 3 seemed better, though his victories on the potty were really just because we timed it right, and that is okay at this stage. But every instance was a struggle. By today, his mantra was 'no potty, mommy...no skittles mommy....no marshmallows, no drink, no juice'. After having him on the potty, then getting him off and him going on the floor 4 times, I put a diaper on him. The last straw was when he threatened to flush a new little truck down the potty.
I am 8 1/2 months prego, I do not sleep well at night, and all my other excuses have made this hard. I do have to say, that though I had a splitting headache in the afternoon, I sat down, put my feet up, and actually relaxed, while Tobin played outside...in his diaper. I honestly did not care.
We are going to chill out a few days and regroup.
I just received an encouraging email with some more tactics, and really good advice, so we may wait until this weekend and try again....or until he enters college. Not sure at this point.
And don't worry, in all my frustration, I made sure I loved on him hard.
I am considering for next baby girl, at 6 months old, hiring a Chinese grandma to come and potty train Chinese style (split pants and whistling are involved).
A few more quotes from today:
I put a button up shirt on Tobin and said : This is a 'shuai ge' (handsome guy) shirt. He went around saying, just like I did mixing the English and Chinese: "I am shuai ge", yes, you are but you shouldn't go around announcing it!
He called for David (Daddy!!!), after he closed the door at bedtime. When David entered he said: 'sound machine, daddy!' David had forgotten to turn the sound machine on, Tobin loves it.