Sunday, August 25, 2013

Tobin's Superhero

Background:
In July we traveled to Thailand and met up with some friends. One specific family that we spent some time with made a deep impression on Tobin, actually, the dad, "Uncle Spencer". This was primarily due to the fact that on one songtao (truck taxi) ride Uncle Spencer let Tobin pull on his beard, laugh and giggle, and do it again, the WHOLE ride. He also got to listen to Uncle Spencer's music, and would sing right along. 

What month are we in now? Oh yes, almost September. A month back, early August, David was listening to the music on his computer, Tobin ran in and said: 'I want to see Uncle Penper! Uncle Penper!'

It took just a few times of repetition for Tobin to be able to clearly say Spencer, and now, we hear about him every. day. And just to not exaggerate, we actually hear Tobin say "Uncle Spencer" about 15 times a day.

Uncle Spencer sent us some music, with a funny pic, and Tobin thinks it is really him. We listen to this and sing along in the mornings some days. But even before we ever start, Tobin is pleading: 'I want to listen to Uncle Spencer, Uncle Spencer'.

Yesterday, David had some stubble on his face, and was hugging on Tobin. Tobin grabbed David's chin and said: 'I like your Uncle Spencer'. (his whole world is defined by this super hero of his).

Today, as I write, David needed to give Tobin a haircut, and Tobin usually does really well, but just in case there was a problem, David promised: 'we will listen to Uncle Spencer'. They did. And Tobin sat perfectly still. 


He even sat still while Sophia combed his hair. He really didn't budge.

This look is because it was storming and a loud thunder boom rocked the valley. 
But Uncle Spencer sang on, and Tobin just sat there....

Now at my computer...
Tobin just walked up to my desk, got out his play cell phone and said: "I want to turn on my Uncle Spencer" and then he put the phone to his ear and said: "Hi Uncle Spencer".... (see what I mean by the 15x a day!)

We actually love real life super heroes in our children's lives. Thanks Uncle Spencer for being a worthy one.