Sunday, August 16, 2015

Coker School Celebration: details



Intro Quote: "where did we get this amazing ability to picture things our eyes cannot see? To find out we need to turn to the greatest story of all. There we read that, once upon a time, God imagined our world. And then He made it so. He pictured people like you and me and He breathed life into us. he wanted to share the joy of making things and seeing that they are good. So He planted a tiny seed of His creativity in our hearts..."   Faerie Gold, intro p. 8

Prov. 24: 3-4: "by wisdom a house is built and through understanding it is established; through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures"

After listening about the lives of various poets, their styles, and some of their famous poems, Sophia made up a poem one night. The next day when she retold it best she could I was completely surprised at all the fun devices she used to capture the mood. It was a bit spooky and fun (we had just listened to The Raven). When she tried to recite it again for me to write down she lost some of it in her mind. So the original was better, but this one was still great, and for the intro of our celebration, I used her poem as an example of a God-given creative mind at work. She had no idea I was going to do that. I may post it later.

The first set of poems the kids really got into and, just as they had practiced, put some of them into song. Tobin very cutely at the end of his added drama elements. We do have this all on video, not sure if I will post any. Bella, usually the shier one, did spectacular in capturing the essence of her poem, and Sophia, she added a little pop/rock starish twang to hers, it was about cats after all.


For the memory work time, I had David in the audience choose something to ask me and then I would ask all the kids separately their chosen subject. David asked me about the Split of The Roman Empire (one I knew, whew!). Most impressive here was Bella's recitation of the first 12 elements of the periodic table, by number element and mass. She always loved this chant during CC review and chose it right away when I said they could do anything they wanted. I just wasn't convinced she knew it, but she proved me wrong and helped me learn it better.

We changed clothes towards the end, for our last two acts. Bella had a funny poem, Tobin a very fun super hero original dance that ended with a forward roll and punching the book shelf. Sophia wrote a story about desperately wanting to see snow. And me? I dressed up like a witch and recited a scene from Macbeth (double double toil and trouble), I had a big pot and spoon and acted out all the grossness I was throwing in my brew. The kids knew I was doing this poem for weeks but got so into it as I did it and even squealed in grossness a few times.

The girls each played the piano and then I gave out awards!
Good reading: Tobin...he has worked so hard and done so well!
Great work: Math: Bella, she has wowed me with her progress
Hard worker: Sophia, she has been up every morning starting her independent work before breakfast (Life of Fred math, supplemental, Chinese reading, Bible reading, English reading)

We had a blast doing this and will probably do this every 9 weeks or so.