Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Home School Focus: Math

I love math. I am a pretty strong 'J' if you want to put me into a personality type.
I love the lists, the organization and the logic that is math. There is always a right answer.
This is so refreshing.
I had some amazing math teachers, one in particular that just fueled my love. But to love math is not to be confused with the ability to teach it well. No, no.
So far we are doing fine. But if I am honest, what is looming scares me. I am responsible for my children's understanding of fractions, and common factors, and algebra at some point, and geometry, and....ugh. I am leaving the Calculus to David, it is his passion, and I will yield.

But back up....my oldest is 8!!! To make sure I am prepared I bought (and am actually using) 3-4 different math curricula. Laugh Out Loud. Laugh right at me.
I am math crazy.

First of all I LOVE LOVE the foundation that Right Start Math gives. For two years both Sophia and Bella started with this and Tobin will start soon. We do Levels A and B, which is like K and 1st grade and then transition to Singapore math (primary mathematics). I know folks who have gone on in right start and love it, I probably would have too but I went with a more prominent and well tested curriculum in Singapore Math.

Singapore Math then becomes are main curriculum, and we really do like it. A year ago I bought Miquon Math to incorporate in with Singapore. It sat on the shelf until the summer where I had Sophia breeze through some and now we are getting to meatier stuff. Miquon cycles through subjects like Singapore does but uses 'lab sheets' and cuisenaire rods. I have looked ahead it gets difficult and will take my guidance but is quite a different exploration into math. So far we are enjoying what these lab sheets bring to our math as well. When it all gets a bit harder, we will see.

And this year I bought Life of Fred Math, which is totally different from every other! In the summer I had Sophia go through the first two books, a chapter a day. Now she does about 2-3 chapters a week, though one chapter for us now, is one lesson. I have made this a complete 'on your own' type math activity. She says she really likes it. I am not sure what book she is on. It definitely introduces concepts outside of math to bring math in context of daily life. I do love that. It is also very cleverly written. I am not sure when/if I will start Bella on this.

Bella right now (has done A and B of Right Start) is doing Singapore Math and some Miquon Lab sheets.

They usually do four solid days of math with Sophia adding a review day or a chapter of Life of Fred, which right now doesn't take long at all.

This may sound crazy but it is working for us.
Tobin will get in the mix this year with Right Start Level A.
The girls also get math at Chinese school but don't do any of the homework. We are not sure how much longer they will remain in local school, but I am still amazed at their ability to take it all in and enjoy it. On their breaks at home they 'play school', it is always Chinese school and almost always math.