Before this new semester began, I started cleaning out and making more space in our school room. I pushed back the bookcase wall into the living room and brought the table off the wall to the center. This has made all the difference. I am starting to use the big whiteboard more (I used to just pull out a handheld one) and this helps. But I also took stuff OFF the table. This trolley from IKEA has been great for this. It is not the cute turquoise one, it is the practical one and I LOVE it.
For the peeps in Asia, I bought it here on taobao.
It is very multi-functional and I haven't quite figured out all I will use it for. But for now it is the media hook-up/plug in center, and pencil sharpener home, among other things. You can hang containers from it if you need to.
The bottom shelf has our trash can and go to marker/color pencil caddy that used to be way up high and out of reach, now kids can grab it if they need to, and I can grab it for our history time.The second shelf has a brown basket that has all of our Phonics Road stuff.
Since I now have three kids on three different levels, having these cards handy is great. I am not sure if I will keep them there, but they were cumbersome with the Phonics Road Notebooks.
I also love the drawer. And this is MOMMA'S drawer. Extra paper, good pens (used for IEW only), red pens, skittles for maps, stamps and stickers. This is so convenient since my real desk is in the other room.
these pictures are blurry, but I hope you get the jist. The small dvd player is GREAT there and I do roll the trolley if I want to get it closer when we watch our SWI or I am doing Phonics Road prep via the video. The Homeschool purple phone stays here as a base to be picked up for 'flashcard' review of verses and catechism. The speaker stays here until we need it to jam to our latest CC memory work.
It is just snug over there in the corner.
Out of the way, but completely purposeful. LOVE this little command center so much that I had to share.