Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Our Five-Year-Old Boy

 Tobin Elias turned five on April 10th.

 This was just one full day after I returned from my retreat, so my Saturday was jam-packed full of prep. I had frozen the cake, so I got into defrost and decorate mode. The cake did start to topple and sink hole on me, but I did not fret. It turned out to be super moist and yum, though it did not look too pretty.

Tobin's birthday is always the day before the huge water-splashing festival here. And because it backed up to the weekend, two of his four invited classmates could not come, and two of his three teachers were out of town as well. This was fine because we had all of our neighborhood friends here that he plays with all the time anyway.
 Tobin's desire was to have a helicopter cake. He actually wanted a real drone for a gift...yeah right kid! The helicopter hovering over the table is hung with fishing line, to be 'landing' on the cake at cake time.

We started with helicopter coloring pages, which surprisingly everyone sat down to do.
 We then made paper airplanes to use for our first game, which flopped a bit because no one could quite aim them in the target hole I had made. Oh well. It was still fun.

 Gifts kept coming...to his delight.
 Gabrielle tried her airplane...

 Next was target practice, and I think only Bella knocked the can over shooting a nerf gun.

 I loved these faces...


This is one of our favorite neighborhood kids. He is in Bella's class, he is always smiling and talking a mile a minute. We love having him around.

Here the Tobin figure awaits the helicopter landing.
 I thought this looked pretty real, despite the looks of the cake itself.

 We had a great time getting to know these parents, they said we needed to teach a parenting class, especially when they learned that our kids never sleep in the same room with us.
After cake it was outside and the guns came out.
Everybody went home and I about fell over.
Time to catch my breath in time for water-splashing, which started the very next day.