Saturday, June 17, 2017

Day in the life....

 Tobin at his school. This is his last year of Chinese Kindergarten!

Our days often get flopped around based on various events at local school. For example, this week Tobin and Gabrielle went to school in the morning three days so he could get graduation pictures taken with his class.

But usually this is where you find us in the mornings..(nice finger in the picture)
 Gabrielle was getting ready for Children's Day...

And this was the outfit we had to buy for him to wear once for his picture.
 Interesting, but yes, he's cute. (I was kind of scared the suspenders would come un-clipped and his pants would drop. I thought about this all morning. My only consolation was I knew he was wearing some pretty cool batman underwear, so maybe he wouldn't be too embarrassed.
 Finally on the day of the most pictures I asked why they needed to change outfits five times and take pics all day (this is the opposite of fun for a 6 yo boy). The teacher looked at me like I was weird and
said this is what they do.

But at least G got to play more while we waited on Tobin.


Here is what a 'normal' day might look like:

6:00 a.m.: Mommy gets coffee and the word
6:55 a.m.: Mommy starts breakfast, Daddy wakes up older girls but Tobin and G usually come out at 7 a.m. as well
(fyi: daily eggs for everyone and kids get either pancakes, toast, or oatmeal with them)
7:05 a.m.: David does memory verses with kids.
7:25 a.m.: David takes Sophia and Bella to Chinese school and then goes to the office most days
7:30 a.m.: all do morning routine, teeth, beds, get dressed, I clean up a little and get ready for my day, which may involve sitting at the computer for 10 minutes to check email.
7:45 a.m.-8:00: sometimes we start before 8 sometimes not. I go through memory verses (8 per day that Tobin has already learned so we are reviewing) and catechism questions review as well. They are allowed to play as we do this as long as they say them with me.
8 or 8:20: Reading together: I read them some books, Tobin reads to me.
8:30: trampoline jumping for six minutes, we set the timer. If I choose to do some phonics team review on here we will jump longer.
Break and water
My helper has arrived! Currently I couldn't do this without her. Or I could we would just get half the amount of school done. I have a powwow with her about the day, meals, market run, etc.
8:45: start school in the school room (at least by 9). Tobin does team review, spells new words or sentence writing. Gabrielle does some letter activities and other tot school stuff.
9:20/9:30: we switch to math...Gabrielle will do puzzles, letter tracing, shapes/colors etc.
10:00 Mommy works out or runs 30 minutes max. Kids go outside with Ayi (Aunt in Chinese)
10:30: sometimes I run more with the kids while they ride their wiggle racers around our neighborhood.
10:45: all inside free play, mommy gets ready for the rest of her day (shower, etc.)
11: 15: put on short video in Chinese for the kids while I go pick up Sophia and Bella
12:00 lunch time!!!
(over lunch): Daddy usually does family devos and then Bible Book Cards and catechism. If he isn't there we do some devos and then move on to CC review maybe...
12:30-45 ish: read aloud time....favorite part of our day...depending on if the girls need to go back to Chinese school determines how long we read.
1:00-1:15: CC review memory work or intro new stuff and Shakespeare 2-3x/week
1:15: move to Homeschool room for history + maps, (if girls are going to school in the afternoon CC and history often gets dropped and I start their core with them while G and T have room time or quiet play)
1:45: Sophia starts some independent work or piano while I do spelling with Bella, G and T free play
2:00: break and snack.
2:25: take G and T to school, Sophia and Bella start all their reading: (Chinese reading, Bible reading, Lit/history reading)
3:00: I work with either Sophia on Latin or Bella on her language arts, the other will do Anki (computer memory work), and piano or any other independent work which could include math unless I need to teach it)
3:45: I flip flop.
4:30: we may do IEW or we may drop it depending on how much Chinese Homework they have or if they have actual piano class which always nullifies IEW.
5:00, sometimes done sometimes still working....I go get the littles from school!!!
5: 30 or later: dinner!
if not done with Chinese homework the girls will keep working after dinner....and then play.

All this will change next semester with Tobin going to Chinese first grade and Sophia possibly going some days in the morning and some in the afternoon. .....