(I cannot tell if this video is working or not, sorry)
Favorites:
I didn't mean for Gabrielle to learn Shakespeare with us, but she did.
One of our favorite things this semester: How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare.
We only did the passages from 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' but they were great! We hope to continue on with this! Ten minutes a day, seriously.
A friend gave us "Thoughts to make your heart sing" and we finally started going through it, they are short but profound and we are really enjoying these tidbits at lunch time to point our hearts to Jesus.
Sophia finished up her 'Phonics Road' curriculum through all four levels and we started 'The Latin Road'. We are doing it together and it is hard work but we are both enjoying it. I am amazed at what she is already learning and translating.
Local School: this is always working/not working. It really cramps my style with all I dream to do in Homeschool, but I am finally coming around to making it work. Their language is phenomenal both written and spoken and they just love being a part of what their classes are doing.
The kids had a few days off of local school so we plowed through Homeschool in the morning to have the afternoon to play. This is a math game of Tobin's (Right Start B), but the girls jumped in to play real quick.
Not working...
I love Story of the World History but for level four (after already lesson planning most of it) I decided to only use it as a supplement. I instead went with CC level 2 history sentences and adding a month unit on the Civil war and Civil Rights. The kids loved this as they had to report to daddy every Friday what they learned. We just dove into learning more about the topic with encyclopedias, Story of the World, Maps, and other books I had bought, plus great read alouds. This did bring us all the way through modern times. Next year we are switching to Veritas Press online History starting over with the Ancients.
We still followed CC memory work but I really slacked this year on the review....maybe next year we will nail it!
We hardly did any science focus this year except the basic memory work. I have higher hopes for next year. But our kids still choose to pick up science books and read them daily:
What has them so intrigued:
SHARKS!
IEW, Student Writing Intensive has been great for us, just slow....it always got pushed to last and we really only had time to do it about 3x/week at the most. But still, their writing did improve and they had fun with it. I was just frustrated with our need to rush through it to just get it done.