Friday, December 29, 2017

December Doings: Weariness, Weakness, and Hope

Disclaimer: I asked David whether I should post this and he mentioned that often when I get personal on the blog it is always me sounding negative, usually about myself. That is true. Social Media and blogs can only portray so much and are only intended to be snippets into people's lives--usually the best snippet (or what appears to be the best snippet). For the times when I mention some soul wanderings and tug-of-wars going on in my head, just know that this too is a snippet. There is no way for me to detail all the events and emotions leading up to the various more 'personal' posts, but I know that others are right there with me in these meanderings... I hope this encourages.


December 20.
I woke up this morning weary.  Exhausted, I guess.
I had only 10 minutes compared to my usual 45 to sit still before making breakfast for my brood and getting everyone to school. After that, blahness took over. I tried to lay back down.

I got up, made tea and sat with my Bible open and just cried. I had no certainty as to why. I was sad, sure. Hormonal, yes. I was discontent mainly over my continual failures in certain areas. I was disappointed in my lack of joy because I had planned on this being such a joyous season of advent to really behold, and give, and serve and enjoy. I had had tidbits of all of those emotions, but nothing quite steady…because. Because life kept coming at me…in unexpected ways. 

I told David I needed a real sabbath rest. I, we, had been going for almost 15 days straight, one event to the next, great events, great community, great serving, great enjoying, really. But right now, right before Christmas…peace eluded me. 

The time I was most looking forward to with David and the kids…where I cook and bake with joy, with no math to execute, no Latin to review. We just listen to God's word together and really worship Jesus through the retelling of his birth. This is my favorite time of year. 

And there I sat crying. I wasn't even pitying myself (not this day anyway :). I didn't quite know how/what to pray, but I did know where to go…to the Sermon on the Mount. You may think what a condemning place to go. No, I went to the first beatitudes and meditated there. I reread my notes surrounding the page, and I cried out to God to remind me of my poverty, my lack and to fill me with joys of His kingdom, that is the promise there. Mourn over sin, yes. HIS comfort that the verdict is in, I am free. And I prayed.

David just listened. I told him I wasn't depressed, I wasn't even sad about the most recent events, just overall tired. I told him the encouragement I received from the Word. How I had gone to my computer and read a quote that a friend had posted by Elisabeth Eliot:

Elisabeth Elliot ~" If you dwell on your own feelings about things rather than dwelling on the faithfulness, the love, and the mercy of God, then you're likely to have a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Our feelings are very fleeting and ephemeral, aren't they? We can't depend on them for five minutes at a time. But dwelling on the love, faithfulness, and mercy of God is always safe."


I then clicked on an article that popped up posted by the same friend, it was an old one:  what to do if you wake up feeling fragile, byJohn Piper: I realized I had done what he said by clinging to true promises. 

Next, I decided to run, it wasn't my run day but I needed it, and I needed more truth in. I re-listened to 'The Blessedness of Self-forgetfulness' by Tim Keller. Please listen to this every year! This reoriented my heart even more and reminded me again to "not think more of myself, or less of myself but to think of myself less" and it did remind me of my Union with Christ. I am HIS. He is mine. This is the story of Christmas. 

Am I filled with unutterable joy at this moment? No, but there is peace in my weary heart. And that is what he came to bring. This is the way HE desired me to enjoy advent this year. Him near to my soul with His glory, his presence in my midst.