Sophia turned four years old today....
The day started with her choice: chocolate chip pancakes. She was going to go with waffles because she knows those are daddy's favorite, we really had to convince her to go with what she wanted...but it was a sweet thought.
I let her wear the same dress two days in a row, this is her best 'twirling' dress.
All the chips were at the bottom of the batter, so she got some VERY chocolaty pancakes.
she doesn't wear bibs anymore but to protect the dress from what I knew would be chocolate smear central, she donned the hippo bib.
Then we told her she could see her cake that I decorated the night before
months ago Sophia told me she wanted a 'chocolate eclair cake with sprinkles on top' (this would be very easy). Then she paused and continued her sentence: 'with the three little pigs, and a big bad wolf on it too'. My reply: 'umm.......' long pause, laugh, 'we will have to see about that.'
But then I started thinking through ideas and came up with some. I had fun doing this, and laughed at myself quite a bit.
she was delighted, and wanted to show everyone. She said: 'I have such a funny cake.' and her phrase when she just can't quite describe something, she says with a smile: 'I just don't know what to think about it.' This made my heart smile.
each pig is sitting in front of their house. The straw house is a crumbled up oily puff thing that is a local product, the sticks are chocolate sticks, and the brick house is coconut wafers with icing as the mortar (it is actually not structurally sound at all). Notice the smartest pig happens to be the one with the soccer ball. The 'wolf' is a famous character out of a Chinese's children's cartoon 'xi yang yang' and other sheep that are always feuding with this wolf and one other. I don't love this cartoon, but our old helper gave the video to the girls and we have watched it some. Sophia loves it. And these characters are ALL over China, on clothes, on bikes, on toys. It was the only toy wolf I could find, and she loved it.
We continued the theme into her party. This year we stuck with an ex-pat party. Next year we hope to do one with friends from school. She does have a few friends she plays with a lot, but I figured I would give a little more time for those to develop (one day her friends are 'mean' the next day 'nice', according to her, sound fickle just like her).
We made all these pigs for the 'pin the pig on the brick house' game, but I decided to decorate with them first. while I spent the afternoon decorating, I gave Tobin some tummy time:
he usually spits up and it doesn't last long, but he did pretty well this time.
As expected, Sophia did not sleep during nap time (in fact, I think she is dropping this nap).