Friday, November 18, 2011

Thanksgiving

We are so thankful to be able to go visit some of our closest friends on the other side of the country for Thanksgiving. It will take us 3 airplanes and all day, and we will not leave China. But we are SO excited. We also will meet up with a team from TCC and get to hug the necks of dear friends from back home, including Travis! We sure will miss Julie and the youngin's but we will take what we can get!

To gear up for Thanksgiving, this week the girls and I started in on a few very small projects/crafts. We try to practice thanksgiving a lot, naming things we are thankful for, discovering and remembering ways God has answered our prayers, etc. But this week we put it more in writing. David started the week by introducing the girls to Squanto and his story. They are still reading that together.

Our crafts started with a paper quilt. I got the idea from HERE.





I basically followed the instruction. I did not have canvas, but I used a thin foam board that I had and was not using. I also had scrapbooking scrap sheets, I cut out the rest and tried to find fall colors. The girls had so much fun trying to draw pictures of what they were thankful for. Daddy and Mommy both participated as well.
Everyone did three. Sophia's first picture was a picture of Big Caleb, Little Caleb, and herself. She really is thankful for those guys. She also drew a picture of some mountains and said she was thankful for Daddy. Her third was 'Jesus' and she drew a cross.
Bella mainly scribbled, but she said: 'Daddy', 'Jesus', and "Sophia".



The next thing we did was make a Thanksgiving Tree. We had gone to a park over the weekend and I collected some dried roots from trees that had just been planted, they looked like sticks and were bendable. I then cut out a bunch of leaves and again had the girls draw pictures and name some more things to Thank God for. Then we hung our leaves on the tree. We spent quite a bit of time on this and they loved participating. It reminds me that I really need to make a better effort at doing more crafts with them every week.






Our journey to the NE begins tomorrow!