Sunday, December 27, 2015

Friends Come to Visit



These two lovely ladies came to visit for a few days. They arrived a day after we got back from HK and really brought lots of laughter and good discussion to our family life. They have lived in another part of this country for over a year and have done amazingly well.

What impressed us most about these girls was their grounded faith,very strong family backgrounds, and strong work ethic. What we really enjoyed was their humble ability to laugh at themselves and share the love (Hover board videos!). They loved on our kiddos and Bella cried the day they left.

I had noticed how much they really spoke with genuine affection about their families and especially their deep relationships with their moms. I had to ask them what various things had fostered this throughout their childhood and adult life. They shared with us so much good stuff....it was great, getting parenting advice from 20+year olds who had parents that were very intentional and the fruit of it showed..

On their last day with us, some craziness ensued... It was the S fam's day to pick up the kids, Bella usually gets out early but because of a sports day the guards wouldn't let parents in until 11:30. At 11:11 I got a text that Bella had left the school (they have cards in their backpacks that tell when they enter and leave). (The week prior we had gotten more warning texts about guys in vans kidnapping kids in villages nearby). I kept trying to call K but she wasn't answering. David was up at the office right near the school so I called him and he immediately went up there. I called K again and again thinking maybe she just went up there early to get them.

K called me back asking if I could pick up the kids, she was on the phone with poison control because AB had eaten part of a moth ball (here they look like candy and smell like halls cough drops). I was now very worried about Bella and AB.

David pulled up with Bella and I just cried. He apologized for not calling, thinking: 'of course she was just playing near the gate', I had thought: 'no way Bella was just playing near the gate'. He hugged me well and I ushered him to go help K with her crisis, J was out of town. It was quite scary, both David and K were talking to two different poison control folks and they were both saying some pretty crazy stuff about what would probably happen in the next few hours, one wanted her to go to the hospital right away. Camphor is very poisonous, and here the percentage in the mothballs is way higher than what is allowed in the U.S.

At the end of a very intense morning/early afternoon, AB ended up being fine, with NO side affects at all! A miracle we gladly received.

We saw our friends off and got ready for our next guest arriving the next day!