Don't get me wrong, we are COMPLETELY excited about coming back, but I think I just forget all the planning and packing involved. And every time I start the process (months in advance), I get overwhelmed, forget what I am doing, can't make heads or tails of the next step and ask: 'why are we doing this again?' David then gives me a pep talk, and I get going again.
Maybe it is a bit like childbirth, you forget the acute pain and keep having more. And it is all completely worth it.
I certainly don't want these posts to sound like complaints, they are simply my realities right now (though sometimes my view of reality is skewed too, so who knows what you are going to get :))
I told David I may need 'driving detox' before I hit the road in the U.S. I remember two years ago in the U.S. Sophia saying as we pulled off the interstate exit to a long line of cars: "Mommy, can't you just 'cha dui' (the Chinese word for cut in line)".
Here it goes...some things we are VERY excited about:
- driving where rules are mostly followed and roads are near excellent condition
- always the thrill of drinking water out of the tap. Our kids think this is SO exciting.
- LOTS of green grass, (Sophia said one day: " I think America has a lot more trees and wildlife" to which we responded: "America has 1 billion LESS people too"
- Cousins! The kiddos have 8 cousins that they adore.
- AC everywhere!
- Lake trips, Beach trips, Pool time, we LOVE the water. Gabrielle may be swimming for real by the time we are done
- FOODS that we miss:
- Mexican. This becomes our new dumpling night. One time a week, we hope. The good folks from La Cocina taught me the secret to good salsa!
- buying packaged/cleaner meat, not right off the animal.
- Good coffee almost anywhere, even the gas station
- true confessions: we love us some Hardee's biscuits, though I have nearly mimicked them in China, I don't make them much.
- Gainesville's Burrito Brothers, an ancient delicious landmark
- really good hamburgers (PTs!)
- chick-fil-a
- Hopefully some new activities: gymnastics, youth soccer for a month, etc.
- Connecting with people---our peeps!
- Julie+Heather=therapeutic laughter!