Usually their favorite is the one we are reading right then!
All three (G is listening/playing but doesn't have an opinion yet) LOVED The Tale of Despereaux, and I really did too.
Sophia mentioned really liking Little Britches, Johnny Tremain, and Pippi Longstocking.
Bella loved Mrs. Piggle Wiggle (and read it 2x on her own afterwards), and we laughed our way through the shorter story: 'Rackety Packety House'.
I personally loved The Wheel on the School and all of the above.
Last year we read 'The Princess and the Goblin'. Sophia loved it so much that she read it on her own and it is not a super easy read. And this year I thought I would follow up with The Princess and Curdie, but I vetted it first to see if it was too deep or the language too advanced for all to grasp the best of it. And it was. But I was blown away.
I have fallen in love with the works of George MacDonald!
People
overlook him, or just read one great work, but please, adults, I commend to you
his works. The way he weaves the spiritual and the human heart and the world of
fantasy is amazing and no wonder all the 'greats' looked to him.
JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis both highlight MacDonald as a developer of their own storytelling and as
you read him you can feel the worlds of Tolkien unwind and the depth of Lewis
evoked.
I cannot wait to read more from him, I will learn and be challenged in my Christian walk, in my parenting, in my creative soul. A summer of reading awaits.