Friday, March 24, 2017

My David, At Fourteen Years of Marriage

My David, At Fourteen Years of Marriage

You have…

Taught me….
-the meaning of the word 'discipline'
-how to read the word more intently
-what sacrificial love looks like
-how to parent with the end in mind
-how to organize my life for maximum efficiency and effectiveness
-that relationship matters more than my sense of 'right'
-about the science of human nutrition
-how to work out efficiently and injury free (enter the kettle bell)
-how to love in midst of hurt
-that my black and white vision of life ends in judgments that hurt
-how to speak calmly when my heart wants to yell
-self-forgetfulness
-how to die
-to die is to really live

Sought me…..
-when I manipulate with emotion
-when I yell (and cuss sometimes)
-when I am closed and cold
-when I have wrecked it all
-when my heart is aching
-when the world overwhelms
-in tender romantic love
-in patient love
-as a best friend forever
-as always wanting more and not settling for less in our marriage
-with physical, tender touch as a way to soften and remind me
  you are seeking me still

Washed me…..
-with encouraging words
-with difficult words that I needed to hear
-with God's word for me
-with time and rest and laughter
-with your utter sacrifice
-with forgiveness and grace
-with unrelenting love
-with reminders that you would choose me a thousand times again
-with reminders that life is better in our story together
-with the words: 'I Love doing life with you'

Protected me….
-from the worst parts of myself
-from tearing down people I love the most
-from the drunk man at the restaurant
-from the home invader in tengchong
-from laziness and waywardness in my Christ walk
-from gossip, jealousy, and envy
-from pride and selfishness
-and our marriage from any impurity

Bettered me…..
-by communicating kindly and patiently and helping me do the same
-by not letting me settle for the status quo in my walk with Jesus
-by helping see the gray and not mete out my own justice
-by gentling me with our kids
-by helping me be intentional in every area of our life
-by reigning in my pride-induced rants
-by giving all of you to me and taking 'all of me' (including my ‘smart mouth’)
-by leading well and helping me follow :).
  
Loved me…
-by always choosing me
-by being trustworthy in every aspect of who you are
-by being my very. Best. Friend.
-by reminding me why I was made, for you and for HIM
-by taking all of me and knowing redemption is for me in EVERY part
-by trusting in FUTURE GRACE for me

The best part of our marriage is that it is YOU and ME forever,
but it wasn't made entirely for us.
True, we are partakers of all the gifts of marriage,
but the YOU and ME forever is not mainly FOR us, but FOR Him.
His glory in HIS picture of Christ and the Church.
A mystery quite mysterious, yet not so evasive, it is real.
We can live it, go deeper in it, forage his meaning even more
to KNOW HIM more by living in communion with each other
and most of all with our creator.

I know you will keep teaching, seeking, washing, protecting,
bettering, and loving me in these same ways and in new ways too
as Christ draws you even closer to him.  I am confident of this,
because I trust in HIS FUTURE GRACE for you too.
The best is yet to come.

Thanks for choosing me, David. I still choose you a million times over.