Recently finished:
- All the light we cannot see:
- My friend said: 'That book wrecked me', and I have to concur. The prose was fantastic, the story tragic and beautiful and more tragic.
- Being There: How to Love those who are hurting
- I found this a very helpful quick read. I loved his vulnerability and practical tips.
- Tending the Heart of Virtue: How classic stories awaken a child's moral imagination:
- This book was fantastic. I promptly bought the original to many fairy tales, per his recommendation.
- The Golden Key (George MacDonald):
- Because though he writes 'fairy tales' too, adults should read them. He is one of my favorite writers of his genre, so deep, descriptive, scary, and redemptive!
Now reading (I am absolutely reading too many books right now):
- The Running Revolution: How to Run Faster, Farther and Injury-Free--For life
- David recommended this to me not because he has read it but because folks on a Kettle Bell forum he follows recommended it. I currently have hamstring/glute issues (for a year). I will read through this and then try to get to the method and implement it.
- Steadfast Love: The Response of God to the Cries of Our Heart
- I just started this, so far intrigued.
- Seven Brief Lessons on Physics:
- From a reading list I always follow, this book stuck out. I was compelled by the great reviews. I am in the middle of it and am in awe. Physics classes were my favorite in high school and college, this is not disappointing in helping me understand the workings of God's world.
- I am slowly working my way through this.
- The Brain's Way of Healing: Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity
- recommended by my dad, who said I had to read it. He knows David and I are always reading about nutrition and natural health. I have read the intro and am hooked! I cannot wait to dive more into this.
- A Time of Gifts: On Foot to Constantinople: From the Hook of Holland to the Middle Danube
- From the same book list, this title intrigued me. I thought this would be a quick read, but I am plugging along.
- I thought about putting it down at one point, He is so descriptive, gets off on great tangents, and is twenty times smarter than me so I get lost some in his prose. But I can't. I have to stay with him on his journey through Europe even if just a few pages at a time.
- (Devotion Morning Time): True Happiness: Martyn Lloyd-Jones on Psalm 1.
- My new favorite preacher. God has really used Martyn Lloyd-Jones to spur me on, kick my tail, and rest in Jesus! I just started this and already have notes all over the page and my Bible.
- The Singing Tree: WWI
- Snow Treasure: WWII
- Number the Stars: WWII
- North to Freedom: WWII
- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (once we got out of WWII we had to move to something fun)
- Pinocchio (the REAL version) (loving this right now) (Tending the Heart of Virtue uses this book as a great illustration for moral imagination development!)