Saturday, May 19, 2018

Transplanting Rice with Old Friends

A couple we have known for over 16 years (in the States) came to China to help some friends of ours in another city for four months. Though nothing has gone quite how they planned, they have not complained and see it all as blessings! Their selflessness and joy was so evident as they came to visit our family for the weekend. 

Tony and Karen shared their experiences of the past few months living in China, and we introduced them to our world, our kids, and our community. 

It happened to be the time of year for transplanting rice and our helper had already asked off for the day that her household would transplant their plots. This was the Friday Tony and Karen would be in town and I thought we could take them to see this important step in rice farming. I promised my helper that we in no way wanted them to 'host' us, we just wanted to watch a little. We did not want to interrupt anything they were doing in any way. This is a busy time. They do it all in one morning. She agreed, said it would be great and to come by nine or else they maybe done. 

Off we went. This was someone else's already transplanted rice. 

Love this girl, our helper. She is amazing, for now I couldn't do life without her (or at least I couldn't homeschool)

We really needed her gear...



They asked us to join them and Tony didn't hesitate..
I, however, asked about leeches. I have heard the stories. One lady responded, would you be scared if there were? umm...I would borrow some water boots. These folks know what they are doing, they don't do this barefoot like we did. Of course we didn't stay in too long.



They gave a ten second tutorial. It's really not that hard.


Karen and I got in the mix. I videoed some of this and I kid you not, the local ladies did this nine times faster than me. Of course they have a lifetime of experience, and I had five minutes, that was my excuse anyway.

This is back breaking (or aching) work. Had I been doing this all morning I would have been in pain for sure.

 David got in on the action. Look at the view!




 We had such a blast doing this with these ladies. I only did one bundle, Tony did quite a bit.

Afterwards we joined the little rest party of fruit and snacks.
They videoed us, the Americans that came to help them transplant rice.
At this point I made David promise them that if the parts we planted didn't come up we would pay them for it...they all laughed, but I was a little worried.


Our helper literally gave Tony her hat when he said he liked it. And she wouldn't take it back.


This was one of the best days we have had in the village.
We love this place and we loved doing this with these folks.
They were brave, adventurous and interested in everything we do around here.
More adventures with Tony and Karen coming up!