
This 17 year old boy on the right was in a motorcycle accident near his village. It was so bad that it broke his tibia (one of the small bones in your lower leg). It broke so bad that it actually came through the skin. The situation was worsened by the fact that he didn't have the money to come to town to go to the hospital, so he sat at home for five days. The family finally got the money and made the trip (the initial cost that they didn't have was less than 70 USD). But of course by then infection had set in, serious infection that could only be removed through surgery, and after surgery it is still serious. We and some others helped him get this surgery (they flew a doc from the provincial capital to do it), and since David could speak his language he went to visit him before and after. In fact David has been to the hospital quite a bit, and this young man's family now sees David as part of theirs. They wanted to meet the whole family so one day I went to the hospital as well. They said I could come live with them when I wanted to learn their language. I'm game.

This is they guy's aunt, and yes, at a whoping 5'4'' I am almost a foot taller!

People visiting him in the hospital (including his Mom and Aunt) really, really wanted to meet Sophia, so they came over one afternoon. Sophia enjoyed the company. The lady to David's right literally showed us her stomach and said Sophia had one like her :). They also brought us all this food that David loves (that I don't know how to use), one in particular is a dipping sauce, literally translated means 'water sour teeth' and that pretty much describes it--super sour!
We love this family and we know this will be a lifelong friendship. The boy is doing well after surgery and will stay in the hospital on strong antibiotics for another few weeks.
As they left our house the Aunt and Mom lagged behind a little and in our stairwell the Aunt started to cry. Tears of thanksgiving. I began to cry too as I thought about the whole ordeal and putting myself in their shoes, we are so thankful for the opportunity to know this family, and David continues to point their family to the One who really made this all possible to whom we all should be thankful.