Monday, April 6, 2009

Trying western food

Our helper's mom came today to eat lunch and dinner with us. When our helper came in at 9 a.m. I asked where her mom was. She said she didn't know when/if she was coming. The conversation went something like this:
Me: She said she wanted to try western food,
her: (with a laugh), she can't eat it (literal translation)(the real meaning: I have warned her about your food, how gross it is)
Me: But she said she really wanted to try and was coming today
Her: (with another laugh) she doesn't understand (literal) (real meaning: she has no idea what she is getting into by asking to eat your food.)

Her mom showed up around 11, and we decided to take them out for lunch so they would at least get one good meal in. I decided on Pizza and salad for the western food, not my super healthy roast veg pizza on tortilla, but the real deal. I did however make whole wheat pizza crust, and put lots of veg on it, no meat, and of course cheese on top. The crust was delicious I highly recommend it (find it here). While making it, the mom came over during the kneading process so I pretended like I was beating it up, for entertainment. She thinks I am crazy anyway.

We showed them how you eat pizza with your hands, they got a big kick out of this. Our helper seemed to like it and actually said so (she is honest, she usually answers with an 'its okay' for our other meals). The mom proceeded to rake the cheese and veg off and eat just the bottom layer (the crust), she did this for two slices. I thought this wholly incredible. Next we offered salad, which our helper always refuses again using the phrase 'I can't eat it.' Today I finally replied: 'you can eat raw pork but you cannot eat raw vegetables' (all said with a smile of course). We somewhat forced them to try it, with salad dressing. Before taking a bite the mom picked up the spinach lettuce with her hand, broke it, smelled it, and put it in her pile of scraps. But she did try it. We really had a fun time, interesting but fun, I am not too sure she will request western food again. I often make mexican food for local guests and they enjoy it because it is spicy, but I wanted to do something a little more American. We will eat it for leftovers tomorrow!

We really had great fun with them, and Sophia loved playing with the mom. During 'rest time' they went shopping and came back with some new heels for our helper. as you can see, Sophia liked them too.

both drinking their drinks and laughing about it


'this lady is too much fun' Sophia seems to think