Monday, May 4, 2009

The bicycle, our mode of transport

David has his motorcycle, and I get to drive the SUV. Just kidding. Almost daily I put Sophia on the back of the bike and off we go. We are usually going to the supermarket which is just around the corner, but we do venture off sometimes to other places around town, and sometimes even WAY across town for her play date. Yes, I do know that I am over 8 months pregnant, it hasn't stopped me (four different people commented to me about this, ex-pats and locals alike). (my doc says to keep doing what I am doing). I am careful and I have stayed close to home. Sophia loves riding on the bike, and often points out things we see around town. Every once in a while as I wiggle my way around folks, people will try to touch her a little. This definitely is not uncommon while off the bike. One time a lady almost made me wreck trying to grab onto Sophia, 'the very white foreigner baby.' I was a little angry (okay maybe more than a little). But for the most part, this mode of transportation has fared us well. People do think it a little strange we do not have a car, and that we do not all ride around on the motorcycle, as a family we taxi and walk. But I do have no idea about supermarket runs with two children....we may just have to walk!