Sunday, May 31, 2009

One last post for the day

The Mandarin tutor called me, having just returned from China. I still couldn't get over her asking price of 500 Baht an hour, that is over 14 USD (I pay 3 USD in China), I made way less when I worked at Sylvan Learning Center as a tutor with a college degree....but...it may be worth it, we are not sure. We discussed some things on the phone, then I asked her to switch to English because I couldn't understand her reasoning for the high cost. No wonder, it had something to do with her work permit for living here, and all Mandarin tutoring here is expensive, they have to make a certain amount, and on and on. I had gotten some of this, but not the whole gist. Makes some sense. She said she would take 400 (11 USD) when I offered a lower price. We are only really considering this because a) we know if she is good it will be SO helpful for Sophia, who was doing so well with Chinese and b) we just received a wonderful gift (to be used for personal use) from a wonderful supporter that would be well spent on this (thanks DH, so awesome and helpful). We will do a trial day this Tuesday and see how things go.... we will let you know.