Saturday, December 5, 2009

The details...

11.25.2009
Wednesday before Thanksgiving. The guys go off to do their thing and I take the ladies to the market. We buy a big chicken, a few other things, and I show them around. Although pretty disgusted by the meat hanging on the hooks, they were great sports to do the walk thru. We prepared a few things for our thanksgiving feast and even had the chance to get a run in. This is something I used to do with Julie and Heather way 'back in the day,' so it was fun to do it on my turf now.

It had been decided that the entire trip would be a guys v. gals adventure, and so it was. We played a game Travis made up (I think), where you have to either act out a TV show, draw a movie, or sing a song in an animal voice (chosen by the opposite team). This was hilarious bonding time, when I drew 'Free Fallin' by Tom Petty and had to do a 'goat' voice, nothing came out of my mouth, seriously. I know the song (don't you know Tom Petty is from my hometown?), but the goat sound wouldn't come out to the one line I remembered. sorry team.

11.26.2009
Thanksgiving. The morning started with Sophia and I making Aunt Sara's Apple Cider in the crock pot.





We really had no prep to do until the afternoon. K and I had already decided on the Menu:
2 Roasted Chickens
Stuffing with Gravy
Sweet Potato Casserole
Green Bean Casserole
Corn on the Cob
Pecan squares
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Crisp
Rolls
Cider

I was responsible for a chicken, green bean casserole, corn, pumpkin pie, apple crisp, and cider. Most of this was made before hand.

So, day of? We went and played volleyball. It was so much fun. 3 v 3, with Grace and Sophia cheering the girls on. And after Heather gave the guys a little mini-clinic (she played in college), they got better and better and eventually beat us. We really couldn't believe it (so much pride). But it was real volleyball, not jungle ball, and real fun. Throughout the time we gave them a few pointers, like 'don't swing at Heather's serve, just let it hit your arms, it is coming too hard at you,' and 'setter always gets 2nd hit'. We soon realized that these athletic and coordinated guys only needed these few pointers to rattle us out of our game. Though it really is best 3 out of five, so it is not over...

Quotes of the game: Julie, with a smile: 'If Heather would quit lollygagging,' and Julie after both Heather and I missed our serves: 'alright ladies we need to get back to the fundamentals,' from there on out she was coach. And me after we had a strong lead one game, with all arrogance and a chuckle I said to Julie and Heather: 'should we start calling some plays?'

From there we went on to attempt Badminton (bad news for the whole crew), and ping pong, which was fun. Then we played a crazy version of ping pong that involved everyone at one time and a lot of running around. It actually can wear you out. Next it was inside to prepare the meal.

We ate and ate, the kids played, best thanksgiving here by far. Right around wind down time Sophia fell face first off of her bed somehow, a little blood, a lot of screaming, a HUGE lip and a bruised cheek. We tried to force the icepack, and then Julie and Kath came back with a popsicle which she also didn't like (Julie: I never knew a child who didn't like popsicles).

We put the kids to bed and had movie night: our friends brought a good variety to choose from and great popcorn and candy. Yes we still ate even after the meal. We opted to watch 'The Express', the story of Ernie Davis, the first African American to win the Heisman trophy, it was a good flick, with quite an unexpected ending.


Everyone listening to Julie, probably on parenting, and Josh is using chopsticks to eat some part of our western meal...interesting.

Morning after, Her lip and cheek were so much better.

Love this outfit, fit perfectly, and it was Florida v Florida State weekend.