We got settled in the first week, and went to check on the girls' Chinese Kindergarten situation. We had already paid for the semester (a good amount too). I was worried that Bella's class would be huge and things would be crazy. Her class was supposed to be in a new building but they are not done with it yet. Instead all the xiao ban (small class) classes are divided in the big auditorium. It sounds bad, but it seems to be working pretty well. She has 3 teachers (whom I liked right off the bat, I still struggle with Sophia's teachers), and a 'grandma' that comes to help. There are thirty students and plenty of space. I was very encouraged by our intro. We told them we would bring the kids Monday! We also had to check on what we heard was a weird form of 'hand, foot, and mouth' going around. Some kids in a town nearby had actually died from it (like 7-8 kids). I asked the principal and the school doc both, and of course they assured me. The only reason I trust them is because, a.) I really like these two individuals, and b.) they are completely responsible for outbreaks, etc., they want to have a safe, healthy school.
We picked up Bella's backpack and continued our prep talk to her. She was SO excited about starting school. She had even started talking about it in the U.S. "I am going to be a big girl and go to school" "Mommy will leave but she will come back" " I will have teachers and new friends" "I will be at school with Sophia" and on and on her excitement went.
Dressed and ready! Tobin looks like such a little man in this pic!
Sophia was very encouraging to Bella.
This was on the way back. I don't always let them sit in the bucket seat, only sometimes. And my plan is to drive the moto most days, maybe. David just reminded me that the car time would give us good review time for CC (classical conversations) which we plan to start in earnest next week. We will see.
I also stared some ABC stuff with her this week, and started REAL homeschooling, called REAL because Sophia is actually 'of age' now. We started core subjects this week and CC art and science, more on that later (maybe).
Now here is what really happened, how Bella responded to school. Let's preface this by saying that my prediction was weeks and weeks of crying. She is our most anxious child, but her will is strong, this is an interesting combo. I really was not sure what to expect out of her since her excitement was genuine.
Day 1: excited, dressed and ready. Really cried when we entered her classroom and had to be peeled off of me. This was a good cry. She stayed with one of the teachers the whole time, did not talk much except to say 'mommy' a few times and definitely did not play with anyone or toys.
Day 2: wake up started with 'I am not going to school' 'I don't want to go to school'. The full-on tantrum and hysterics ensued when it was time to leave. She kicked off her shoes, she screamed. I forced on ones that would stay on. I could not take a kicking, screaming child on the moto, so I pinned her in and strapped her in her car seat. The whole ride: 'take me back home!' I carried her in, her hysteric level was less than at home, she had calmed down a bit, so I did not feel too bad. But the whole thing had me doubting what was best for her. (this doubt battle is always going on in my brain when it comes to Chinese kindergarten).
She still stayed with a teacher but was a little better they said.
Day 3: Now I knew what to expect. My whole prayer for this day and goal was 'no hysterics'. I didn't mind the crying, but the hysterical fit was difficult. I put her shoes on during devotions, and slowly got her ready. She did cry and say she didn't want to go, but she was doing okay. She was really excited that I had gotten her own card to swipe at the entrance. So even though she was crying a little I put her down and had her walk in herself and swipe the card. She also walked into the classroom. I could tell she was getting more comfortable.
This day she stayed with a teacher but participated in some things. When I asked her why a teacher was holding her or staying with her the whole time she said: 'because she really loves me'.
On this afternoon Bella's talk about school was more positive. I had been praying for God to give her a real peace, calm her fears, and help her to like it.
Day 4: She was ready to go to school! She was excited about swiping her own card. I drove the moto because there was no fit or crying. When we went in her classroom she did cry and not want to stay, but she did fine. I kept telling her that the next step was to actually play and enjoy school, not stay with a teacher the whole time (a process I thought could take weeks). They said that on this day she sat at a table and did indeed play!
Each day I have given her a lollipop when I pick her up and this helps give her something to look forward to.
We will see what tomorrow brings. She says she is not going to cry, either way, we are so proud of her! Going to school is scary, especially in a place where you are so different from everyone else.