Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Refreshing

No, this isn't my word for the new year (btw, Happy New Year!). Maybe it should be. But I don't have one. I have goals, not fully stated, but they are there in my brain. This New Year started fast and furious, and that seems to be my life these days. And often, when overwhelmed by my own faults, my circumstances, my whatever whines, I get in a mood, I write of the joy that comes out of despair (it always does come) and I move on in grace. But lately...

I can say that lately, for the past few months, the good news has been penetrating my heart deep and wide and has brought great refreshment for me. I am busier than I have ever been, fighting for joy harder than ever before, sin rearing its head in uglier ways than ever, and still, HE, the creator God of the Universe, has shown me more of him in all my seeking. It is there for the taking, this gospel of grace that I turn to works on a dime. 

It has been refreshing. I more and more have a steady sense that the god of this world seeks to steal, kill, and destroy, and more and more rest in the 'hope held out for me in the gospel'. I do strive. To know Jesus more in His word, to cling to the truths when the lies come pounding. And I tell you it is real: refreshment, rest, freedom, joy. Here in this whirlwind of life, I am tired, but I live refreshed. All I can do is utter amazing, humble thanks to Jesus.

Some 'things' I am thankful for, helping me do this:
  • a husband who knows how to talk to me, and one who lives out such Christ-likeness
  • listening to truth: sermons, etc. (live the miracle, by JP is excellent, blessed self-forgetfulness another, by Keller). )
  • up before the kids: this makes all the difference most days: get focused, get praying, the only way to win the war.
  • really good books: so many here, but currently I am reading 'Because He loves Me' by I forget. These truths are what I have already digested and this read is just solidifying what I have been learning. To mull here is truly helpful.
  • and of course, literally count blessings. 
  • teaching others, even my kids, daily truths, an ever-present mirror! (ugh)




 We boomed in the new year with a few fireworks. (I actually think it was Jan 2nd or 3rd?)