Each of our kids have received the BCG vaccine that prevents a certain type of TB. This vaccine almost always reacts at the site and leaves a scar....and it did for ours. But for 2 of our kiddos it did so much more than that.
Both Bella and now Gabrielle have had lymph node reactions to this vaccine. Their groin lymph node swells and becomes blister like and huge. For Bella, discovered at 4 months, we were always on visa runs and saw doctors, and they actually put her on INH antibiotic for 6 months, yikes, yes, 6 months. (btw, this happens in about 1% of cases, crazy)
This time around we did more research, we knew what we were getting into and when Gabrielle's lymph node got really gross looking like it was about to burst, we consulted an American doc living here and others via email, and all recommended getting it 'drained' before it ruptured. AND that the INH was not really necessary as the research had not proven that it did much of anything in this situation. Still, this meant a local hospital visit...
As you may or may not know I loathe visiting our local hospital. It is not the medical care so much that is lacking (it is decent in most cases), as it is the system...and the atmosphere of uncleanliness. I could write a book about our experiences and have you laugh, cry, and jaw-drop, but they aren't appropriate for this right now.
When we finally decided that it was time to take her, I remembered that I had met a parent of one of Bella's classmates who was a doctor, a general surgeon, at the best hospital here, and he had been to the States once and was overall a really nice guy. 'Call Wu YiSheng (Dr. Wu)' I told David, see if he will help! 'What a great idea' David replied and called him, and boy did he help. So blessed we were!
We loaded everyone up knowing that only David and Gabrielle would go inside. We took books and toys for the others in the car. I would have stayed home but it would be close to nursing time so I needed to be nearby. Dr. Wu had David go right up to his office, no registration lines and payment and red tape, he did exactly what our doc friend said needed to be done, and even wore gloves. The lymph node was so big it actually needed to be cut. Gross. And boy am I glad I did not go! David, who has watched 4 C-sections mind you, had to sit down for a minute. I would have thrown up and passed out. So thankful for how this went. David took her back two days later to help manage the 'wound'. We are still managing it, it has not healed, and may take a while but we are so thankful for Dr. Wu and how he served our family without a second thought! We may just invite him over for Pizza.