The month of May was spent with the kids' elementary school gearing up for the Arts Festival competition. Each class in a grade competes with other classes in their grade in showing off talents like piano, drums, the gourd flute, singing, dancing, etc. While they had been practicing for weeks, the schedule of events didn't come out until the last minute. Both Sophia and Tobin were chosen to participate and somehow Isabella wasn't there on the day to sign-up (she was also sick on and off), so she didn't do it this year.
Sophia's performance was the day before I left on my trip and two days before David was returning. I was feeling really ill this day and almost didn't make it to see her. Thankfully the symptoms subsided for a little while.
This country knows how to put on a show and use lots of show make-up. Sophia was really hesitant, she has always hates how they do it, but since she was part of a group I encouraged her to try to look like them, and it actually wasn't that bad.
They did great in their dance and she actually did a cart wheel in the middle of it too.
Their class came in 2nd place. Good job gals.
Tobin's class came in 3rd and he did great too, I was surprised he remembered all the moves!
His performance was on the day that I returned from my trip. K and I literally hopped in a taxi and went straight to the school to try to catch our kid's performances.
They put lots of show make-up on boys too, but Tobin wiped most of his off. He also had a fiasco with losing his hat an hour before hand...all documented by the many texts back and forth as I taxied on my airplane and tried to recruit class moms to help David since I wasn't there. I finally had to power-off and pray for the best.
Sophia and our helper finally found it (on Gabrielle's trundle bed??!!!)
Tobin receives the award for his class.
These were super fun to watch (some classes did break dancing, head spins with a helmet, etc.).
We were so thankful they got to participate and perform, always a good experience.