Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Swim Competitions and Children's Day

Next up was intramural swim competitions.
This year Isabella got to participate.




She was very nervous but did great. I was so glad she conquered her fear and competed.
The water is FREEZING. And while we barely had a hot season in May, the rains came steady and are now strong daily. This made it hard to jump in the water.
And the continual shock to me is that at these competitions kids are always being pulled from the water because they can't make it (25 m). This year it was particularly awful as I watched at least two kids really really struggle until they were pulled. The technique used for saving these kids is to use bamboo poles (like what I used to fish with at Grandma Pinnie's house), the teachers put it out for the struggling kid to grab. If he is really struggling another teacher will come alongside with one. One particular time the kid didn't make it 3 meters and he was in a middle lane. The teacher in charge nonchalantly offered the pole, he struggles to grab it, goes under many times, tries for the dividing ropes too, goes under. The other teacher comes with his pole. Finally the kid gets it. I am aghast at this scene and was about to jump in. Then I realized, I doubt the teachers can swim either. Scar-y!

And of course June 1st was children's day.
We tell our kids this holiday is redundant as every day is children's day :).

Looking cute and handsome, these two could be twins, and most people think they are. But then folks here say that about any two of our kids walking around. Two days ago a lady asked if Sophia and Isabella were twins....(Sophia is a head taller, just to name one of many dissimilarities).

Tobin earned his 'red scarf' this semester by doing well in school. 




Gabrielle celebrated at her kindergarten too with all kinds of fun games, and they could go buy things from others which was lots of fun for her!

Isabella got invited to a play date with her best friend, they went to the pool (spring-fed), and had a blast!!!

Happy Children's Day!!!