Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Day 3 BKK in October

10.13.09

Medical checkup day! We decided we would rather have one CRAZY medical day then spreading it out over the week. And half way through the stress of taking two kids to two adult full physicals, I realized we had possibly made a mistake. First of all, it was pouring down rain at 7:30 when we wanted to leave. That had us delayed a little bit....

David and I were both fasting for our bloodwork, so we were hungry! We got there and got the process going, and they do my bloodwork first.

Now, I don't do great with shots, needles, and such. I had gotten to where it didn't bother me at all, I had had so many immunizations from so many travels, etc. I had gotten used to it. Until one time, in a huge clinic, room filled with people, children, babies, all getting immunizations, and I got mine and passed out. I don't remember it at all. Since then I am a little more wary, and prepared.

The problem here was that I was getting heavy metal testing, meaning they had to take 7 vials of blood. I have also had this done before with no problem. Last time they did it, they took my vitals afterwards, saw how low my blood pressure was and ran to get me some juice, but I didn't come close to passing out. This time, with my blood sugar already so low, I tell the nurse, look, I am fine, but you may want to have juice ready. She had already done my BP and it was already low (it always is).

And I was fine....for the first 5 vials...and the nurse was good, so quick...but I could tell by the 6th and 7th vial that things were not looking good. Literally. The room started spinning a little. And more nurses showed up, boxes of juice came and I drank. The ammonia cotton ball became my friend. And finally I sobered up. I didn't pass out, but I came darn close. I was instantly fine, they brought me apples, pears, milk. I ate, I drank, I apologized for all the fuss. It wasn't even 9a.m. yet.

We go through the whole process. David is getting a more thorough screening, so he cannot eat after his bloodwork. I feed Bella in the middle of all of this. Sophia is doing pretty well, but a little antsy and not listening great. We are all on edge, hungry, headaches, and just plain not feeling great. Finally things wind down for me, and David takes a pause in his physical to go with me to Isabella's appointment.

Isabella is really fussy because she is really tired. And because she is now an alert four month old she doesn't just fall asleep anywhere. I decide to feed her off schedule to calm her down, and that works. We do have a medical issue with her. A long story I may post later, but all that to say we are going back to see a specialist this evening. Sophia doesn't scream at the doctor this time for giving Bella a shot, but she does cry a little when she sees Bella's pain.

Sophia says to the doctor: 'dr. chiraporn..?' (The doctor is amazed that she says her name with the correct pronunciation' 'dr. Chiraporn?...talk about my poop problem.' David and I just laugh. Yes, she does have a poop problem. We had told Sophia that we may talk to the doctor about her problem, which is where she got this, but it was still quite hilarious.

Finally lunch time. I take the girls back for naps and David proceeds to his physical and then gets his own lunch...

Here we are resting (yeah right), and this evening we will split up. I will take Bella to her appointment and David will take Sophia back to a play place.

we will let you know what tomorrow brings....