first time: delicious, awesome
second time: texture weird, taste interesting
third time: texture weird, taste gross
My mishaps most likely were due to a bad substitution for sour cream and having used cream cheese that had been frozen and then thawed...at least those are my excuses.
I was determined to try it again, since it is one of David's favorites and it is his 32nd birthday (on the 25th). This time, I brought in the cream cheese and sour cream from Thailand and made it the same week so I didn't have to substitute or thaw. The next thing to try to prevent was burning in the toaster oven and cracking, always a dilemma with cheesecake. I read up on all the online ways to prevent such and....out came an incredible cheesecake! The strawberry topping I also purchased in Thailand. An expensive but delightful treat.
And since we didn't want to be too gluttonous we shared some with our friends, it happened to be K's birthday on Friday so we went out to dinner and came back for the cake. But just so you know, we only shared two pieces with them, and the cake is nearly gone. We are going to start a reality show: 'how many calories can you consume in a weekend?' anyone want to join?
Recipe:
Make normal graham cracker crust, I add cinnamon to mine because we like it better that way. I also used Digestive crackers since we don't have Graham crackers:
2 cups crackers crushed
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter melted
mix all together and push down in spring form pan and up the sides. (I sprayed the sides of the pan this time because someone online said that during the cooling/setting process as the cake pulls away this is usually when it cracks and that greasing it prevents that, I am not so sure, but I greased it and it didn't crack, who knows)
Cake:
3 packs cream cheese (8 oz)
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup (8oz) sour cream
preheat oven to 350. cream cheese and sugar together. add eggs one at time and blend. Mix in sour cream. pour into crust cook 45-50 minutes. Turn oven off and let sit for at least an hour. Chill in refrigerator overnight.