The menu:
--Sonny's BBQ ribs (we bought already cooked ribs from our favorite restaurant, threw them in the crockpot and doused them with Sonny's sweet sauce---YUM, thanks TCC for the goods)
--green bean casserole
--garlic mashed potatoes
--rolls
The Dessert:
Home made vanilla ice cream,(Justin, the friend just mentioned, happens to be a mad ice cream maker). It was perhaps the best I have ever had. He also made a pudding brownie thing. Ohhh the scrumptous calories consumed.
The Movie:
The Blind Side. I had never heard of it, but it was really really good. Totally recommend it. True story, football, funny, triumphant.
The celebration:
Earlier in the day David picked up our tickets/credentials to get us good seats. We decided to have our helper stay in with Bella at her bed time (7:30) while we checked out the celebration and then we would switch. We took Sophia with us, letting her stay up way past her bedtime. We stayed out until 9:15 p.m. or so, leaving the festivities an hour early.
every person with a seat got a bottle of water and these flashlight wands. Sophia LOVED this.
and so did this gege, who apparently confiscated three
Here is another gege from the 'hood, he is supersweet, and over a year older than Sophia, he goes to school now, so they don't see each other often.
The wands at work
flowers and fireworks and dancing
it really was quite a scene. Too bad we missed the hip-hop/ breakdancing performance (we saw them practicing), it included a michael jackson song.
I vowed earlier in the week I would not stay up until midnight. But the festivities were so good we stayed longer than anticipated, and the movie was so good I couldn't just quit, and the dessert was so good, I couldn't just not eat it. There you have it. We went to bed around 1 a.m. or so. And everyone slept until past 8. Unbelievable.