Wednesday, February 2, 2011

New Year's Eve, earthquakes, and iphones

It is the Eve of the Chinese New Year. 2011 is the year of the rabbit, I think. We have been hearing the fireworks for awhile now. Tonight will be the war zone feel. But as I took the girls to the supermarket this morning and saw all the fireworks for sale, I just wanted to be festive. At lunch I will see if I can talk David into buying some (this will not be hard). We plan on going out for lunch somewhere, though lots of places are closed....
And speaking of war zone feel. Yesterday we had an earthquake. No one felt it except us on the fourth floor. At 3:10 p.m. the girls were up from naps (they hardly slept), and I heard the windows shake. I thought it was the wind, but there was no wind yesterday. David flew out of his office and said lets go down stairs quick, we grabbed the girls and went, he said his computer monitor started shaking (the wind can't do that). Now, fyi, you really should NOT be in a stairwell in an earthquake, but we thought we may have time in case big one was coming. I am pretty ignorant about this. What usually happens is the BIG one and then aftershocks. But we went down stairs anyway and waited a bit and then went home.
That night as we went to bed David said, 'do you really think that was an earthquake?' I told him I thought so, and jokingly added: 'doesn't your iphone have an app for that.' Well, sure enough it does: earthquake lite, a free little app, and there in five minutes time we found out that 46 miles from our city was a 4.8 earthquake. David says, when you get an iphone (not sure when/if this will happen, and I don't really care) you are not going to know what to do, it just works so well, it is an amazing little machine...