Monday, October 17, 2011

Gross

The caulk around our kitchen sink is pretty much useless. This means that when water splashes around it or you clean around the edge of the sink, water goes beneath it (duh, but bear with me here). Beneath our sink is cleaning supplies on one side and on the other are about 4-5 different kinds of flower vases. From time to time I have to empty these out because they get filled up with water. I had not looked under there in a while. We just got back from a trip and I was in a cleaning frenzy. Low and behold, filled half full of water, was a vase. Inside were the bulging dead eyes of a gecko looking up at me. (your first reaction to this could be 'ahhh, poor thing' or 'GROSS', depending on your affinity towards these creatures). I like geckos but I belted out a 'gross' anyway because in the water were all sorts of other specimens as well, roaches, roach poop, and just ooey gooey grossness. And I forgot to take a picture for your viewing pleasure (sorry, Erica). In our seven years of living here in the subtropics we have not had a roach problem, not like the ones we used to have in Florida. But this year is different, roaches and ants galore. So, I welcome the geckos, and I just have to give this little guy some props for diving in. His stomach ruled his better judgement and he went after those roaches, to his demise. Makes for a good story. But I think I will put 're-caulk' the sink on the 'daddy-do list'.