Sunday, November 23, 2014

The week in a few detailed moments...

Last weekend we were supposed to go on a short out of town trip, a minority wedding, and then a dinner at a new guest house that just opened. Because of sickness, the only thing anyone participated in was the dinner. 

Sunday night I took the girls (including G) to a nice western meal at a nice new western guest house opened by our nice friends from Holland. It was pretty awesome (the atmosphere, food, people), but David and Tobin were home and that made it not so awesome. I was tired and not very engaging, not to mention chasing G around on the tile floor almost had me miss the dessert.

On Monday David was called for the third time to go to the minority wedding (they last 3 days) that our family had missed due to illness. David was still recovering but he really had to go. That particular family makes the best food, I wondered if he would eat it having just been through a gut-wrenching illness (literally). He did, he said he couldn't stop it was so good. The rest of us stayed home and ate homemade pizza.

We somehow did normal home school that day. 
David warned me previously that this was the week: visa renewal and the house rewire, don't plan on getting much done. 
Alrighty, low expectations, I got it.

On Tuesday Sophia started a dance class that would take place right after her third class in the morning. When I picked her up and watched, I knew it was perfect for her, she loved it.

For dinner we had already planned on going to another minority wedding in a different village. This was our new helper's cousin getting married, so it was a new place. It was great to meet some of her family, though we were a spectacle (always). The kids did great!
 With a toy truck involved, the kids were fine. They were also entertained by the teenage boys pouring rice liquor on the floor and igniting it. Yes, they drink that stuff.
David refused the boos and cigarettes and chatted away.

On Wednesday, it was high time I used the avocados a friend had brought from the border. Guacamole, its whats for dinner! Seriously, Gabrielle and I had it as our main course. It was delicious. 

The morning was spent with David and me getting  chest x-rays (no TB) for our visa and then blood work done (no HIV). I made it to the health inspection place (where I almost passed out two years ago) and said: "I have come back!" because they all know me. David wasn't there yet, but I was in a hurry to finish by the time I needed to pick up Sophia, so I filled out paperwork and assured them I wouldn't pass out. Sophia called in the middle of it all to tell me that the school principle said: 'no more dance class!' It is canceled, I needed to come get her right away (never shocked by the quick turn of events in this country when it comes to schools and scheduling). David arrived, the needle was in my arm and he stood by my side, like a good husband. But I was fine, and then rushed to go pick up Soph.

On Thursday the re-wire began. This will get its own post, but our whole house got re-wired. David went out to continue the visa renewal process and the kids were all in school in both the morning and afternoon because it was dangerous at our place! Gabrielle stayed home of course and watched it all unfold. It was a rocky start to the day. I did not do well with my patience, but grace won out in the end, it always does, and always includes apologies by me.

I brought David a 'Sea Salt Coffee' from our favorite bakery, this was new and I had been wanting to try it, he already had and said it was worth the $1.50. I had on my running clothes since I was not homeschooling, but it didn't happen (low expectations remember?).

David had the visa folks working on all 6 visas and we needed to HURRY over there for them to finish part of the process before their lunch break. I picked up the kids, bought them a doughnut from the same bakery and off we flew to the visa office, where they each in turn got their picture taken. 

No electricity, we did some core subjects and back to school they went that afternoon.

By Friday   They had found an electrical problem, and continued working. The kids went to school in the morning, and since we had no power I ordered food for lunch to pick up. Then we needed to help our friends in a bind and pick up their kid from school. I told David I could try to get 4 kids on the moto but..no, better not. He was at the office so he just came by the restaurant and took Bella and Tobin back home. 
This was their first time doing this, they loved it.

I love Fridays, the workers were winding down, we don't have to rush the next morning. Relax a bit.

We were figuring out what to eat when a sobbing Sophia came to the back door. One look at her mouth and I knew we were hospital-bound. She and her friends were playing with capes on, her hands were in it as she went up a cement stair case and she tripped. Her chin broke her fall. The inside of her mouth was a mangled mess. This also will make a post of its own. After the hospital visit, she finally went to sleep and we spent the evening consulting with our American dentist, and another dentist via Skype, all trying to figure out just how bad it really was. I had been in the middle of making cinnamon-sugar-cream cheese roll ups for our special breakfast and I had to finish. This took an hour and a half, longer than I anticipated. It was actually cathartic for me as I listened to David's conference call and then Skype call. It was probably the best thing I could have been doing, knowing my tendency to worry about tomorrow. Today certainly had had enough trouble of its own.

In the wee hours of Saturday morning we checked on Sophia and her (still bleeding) wound. Bella woke with a bellyache at 4:30 a.m. but was fine (in the morning she said: 'God healed me'), and Gabrielle started crying at 6 a.m. We enjoyed our special breakfast, even Sophia eating bit by tiny bit. We focused on how to avoid a private dental clinic (highest rate of AIDS in China, even locals say to avoid these) to get the x-rays we needed.

We let the kids watch 'The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe' fast-forwarding through some scary parts, they all enjoyed it. In the afternoon we got the needed x-rays. 

Another skype session with the dentist that night solidified the 'wait and see' approach. 

Sunday again. Christmas decorating. We will travel for Thanksgiving and then have a guest come and David spend the following week at the office for long hours, so this was the day. It almost went awry with attitudes and insufficient lights, but we regrouped and did what we could, except the tree and lights, which is what the kids enjoy the most.

And then....wait for it.....

I was almost thrown to the ground by a shock from our water machine. Worst electrical shock I have ever felt. 

I thought we just re-wired our house? 

What will the next week bring? 

Oh yeah, it is Thanksgiving. 
At the very least we will be thanks-giving.... we may be bruised, bumped, bleeding, have no power, have to maneuver the local hospital, get zero sleep....but we will give thanks, because this story, this week in its few detailed moments is a story of so much undeserved grace in every moment. And this we learn over and over.