Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Dear David...quotes

I was looking through my 'daily blessing' journal and so many of my thank yous to God were for you, David,  and some aspect of who you are. I was sharing this with the girls.
"Marry someone just like your Daddy"
(they think about this for half a second)
Bella: "But I want to stay with you guys forever!"

Sophia:
"I want Daddy to come back."
"I know you do...but why are you saying that now?" (this was kind of out of the blue, so I was trying to get what she was feeling, this was mid morning.
"So he can hug me at night."

At the breakfast table:
Sophia: Laughing, as she wiggles her tooth: "my teeth are awake they are running around."

Yesterday, as we talked in the bathroom (a discipline type talk):
Me: 'your sin hurts people, honey'
Soph: "I know, it does hurt people, and sometimes I want it to" (this is remorseful, honest, and ashamed, and good insight into her own heart) "like Tobin and Bella" (tears start streaming)....I took this opportunity to explain that anything that we do that does not honor God is sin (so we are filled with it), and that HE takes it all away, all shame and guilt, and gives new heart and life when we trust him....I shared a story of how I,  too,  have just wanted to hurt someone because I was angry....and said hurtful things. But forgiveness and grace is real and precious.

Me to Bella: "what is going on in that little head of yours?" This was a sincere question not an angry one, but she didn't understand..
Bella: (points to her head): "My head????" laughs.
I think she thought I literally wanted to know, so I clarified by asking: 'what are you thinking?'

Tobin:
"I have an earache."
Me: "your ear hurts, which one, I will take a look"
Tobin: (crossing his arm up over his head he points to an ear) This one, and...this one....(points to the other one, as if he has a dozen)
Me: "how many ears do you have?"
Tobin: Two, laughing
I took out my otoscope and alcohol swab, and he always asks...
"momma, are you a doctor?"

Lunch discussion was about the pizza knife and its ability to cut off a finger.
Me: "you would have to saw it" (I immediately regretted those words)
Soph: they can sew it back together
Me: sometimes they can..
Soph: how do they get the skin?
Me: I start to explain medically what they could do...then I said "let's wait until Bella goes to Medical School and she can tell us."
Bella: I want to stay with you guys
Me: In Medical School?
Bella: No, when I become a doctor.
Me: You will want to get married and have kids one day. I promise.
Sophia: we have to carry on the Cokers
Me: Carry on the Coker genes but not the name, all three of you girls' names will change,
Bella: (all seriousness) yeah, it will be Mom. (I laugh out loud).
Bella: I want to marry Tobin.
Tobin: No, I don't want to marry Bella...I want to marry.... (and he goes on to laugh and name every object he sees. It got too silly and we moved on)

Playing with Tobin in his room, he found bullets that shoot out of an airplane and said:
"I am going to drop bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki" (I know the content is not funny at all but that he said it so seriously made me laugh, and that he remembered and pronounced them correctly)
Me: "when was that?" (I wanted to see if he remembered the whole sentence)
Tobin: "in 1985"
Me: "'45,  1945." (...and then I sing the whole history sentence from our CC review, Tell me how WWII began: WWII began in 1939 when Hitler invaded Poland. Two engagements that helped the U.S. win the Pacific Front were the Battle of Midway and dropping atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945)