Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The Year of the Half

This is my year to run a half marathon. If you know me at all, you know I have been running (jogging) lots throughout the years. Four years ago, Kettle Bell training changed my life, but I still ran as much as I could.

The first half of this year I pretty much quit running and just did KB workouts 4-5x/week, every once in awhile I would run on the weekends. I actually got in pretty good shape doing this, probably better shape then just running or even running/KB mixed. Then in June/July we traveled and I got sick. That is when I decided I would, in my year 38, spend the fall training for a half marathon. I missed running and having to really dig deep to go farther.

I also need to see if I can do this injury free and if it will inspire me to run a full marathon, something I have wanted to do 'before 40' for a long time. David thinks it may be too much for my body, I am more in wait-and-see (I usually have some kind of knee or foot pain, but haven't felt it much lately).

I looked up all my old training programs I had researched and tweaked it to fit my schedule and my unwillingness to give up the KB. This is not a normal training schedule and may not even 'work'. Like, will I actually run the distance? I don't know.

And the other thing? I don't have a race to run in. I am not willing to fly somewhere to run a race, we will just clock the distance here and I will run it on the assigned day. Boring, I know.

So far I am about six weeks into a 12 week schedule. And today, David and I decided on the day. And if I say it out loud then I am committed!

I will run the HALF on October 31st! Yes, Halloween, or even better, Reformation day!

I do my longer runs on Saturday mornings . On this particular Saturday I had just come back from a run, David had made French Toast (he is our French Toast maker!), and then he, Sophia, and Gabrielle headed out to bike. I sat outside, watched Tobin and Bella play while eating my breakfast and drinking my coffee...it was a cool, damp morning, and I was perfectly blessed.


Then we all three cleaned up David's bike that was mud-caked and worn!
 

 Here's to running the Half this year. Who's with me?
Bella might be?!

My general schedule below, which most people would frown upon for its lack of actual running. (when I do this may be included in a post about our current daily schedule):

Monday: Kettle Bells (warm up 7 min, Swings, one or two arm, 7 min, KB Turkish Get ups 8 min)
Tuesday: Run with speed work.  Increase distance over the weeks, topping out at about 5 miles/ 8km, of which 2 km involve intervals 7x 1:00 min of working hard, not sprinting. (Earlier in summer this was in the afternoon, now I run it at 6:00 a.m UGH)
Weds: KB same as Monday, (with working towards increase strength, changing the KB size)
Thurs: Run with hills. increase distance over the week. I found a run that works in some serious gut wrenching inclines, work up to top out at 5-6 miles here.
Fri: KB, same as MW
Sat: rest or long run, currently on 10km
Sun: rest or long run