Sunday, January 8, 2017

Best Books of 2016

I read more books last year than the year before. (I had really slowed, which was needed!) My genres are sometimes all over the place. I read some on exercise, LOVE historical biographies, the 'marriage and family' genre is a must, and homeschooling helps continue to overwhelm. Of these books, what I think would interest and benefit others the most are the following (in random order):

1. Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption. This started showing up every where once I started it. I couldn't put it down, but at some points had to. It was compelling, tragic, and at the same time a teeny bit hopeful too. I really appreciate the author's hard work and his telling the story without simply 'going off' on what is wrong with American judicial processes and biases. He fought them tooth and nail, displaying great patience and perseverance. Every Person should read this book.

2. The Hardest Peace: Expecting Grace in the Midst of Life's Hard. I cried my way through this book. Kara Tippits, who wrote 'Big Love' and 'Just Show Up', tells her life story and how God brought her through tons of growth in life's hard. At death's door she continued to be real about pain, joy, and helping her family go on without her. Plain-spoken and challenging, this book really has helped me be so much more aware of the way I interact with my children, and has me say 'yes' to more time with them than I ever have before.

3. The Chosen.  The depth of friendship between two Jewish boys from very different backgrounds is masterfully written of here. This has a ton of historical detail of certain traditions and how those traditions affect the daily life of two particular American Jewish teenage boys and the choices they must navigate. I loved this book from cover to cover.

4. Studies in the Sermon on the Mount. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones is one of my new faves. And he should be yours too. This volume is almost 600 pages and I am just over half way through, but God is using his studies to deepen my studies and seriously change my life. I read this during my quiet times so I am taking my time, but I LOVE it. I can't wait to dig into more of his sermons/teachings on other parts of scripture.

5. George MacDonald: The Wise Woman. This is a parable of an obstinate princess and how her heart is changed. I love MacDonald's mix of fantasy and teaching through deep truths. He is a wordsmith that continues to wow me. Like PG Wodehouse, I think MacDonald will be on my yearly reading list.

6. Marriage as Manifest Glory and The Christian Home. Audio sermons by Doug Wilson. I cannot find the link to the Christian Home series, which is a real game changer when it comes to your own Christian walk and how to parent. But the marriage series (linked to here) is deeply convicting and fun to listen to. Wilson has really helped our home through his teaching. I link to the marriage series, which is 6 different downloads, totaling a bit of money but worth it, they are excellent! It is over 30 hours of marriage topics and I am not done yet. But every time I listen I am convicted, challenged, and hopeful.