December 28, 2016
On day six of Herschel's visit I took him to our 'mall' which boasts a new wal-mart-ish store. For a pretty penny you can buy imported granny smith apples, or 'red delicious' (a dollar an apple), and even find some cheeses, whipping cream, and my fave: Smithfield Bacon.
The local stuff is most fascinating...
Chicken feet, a serious popular local snack. (I actually did buy these one time for our study of human anatomy and how tendons work.)This huge salamander water thing was cool/scary:
And this fish looked a little pre-historic.
Will people buy these to eat?
Chicken.With the head, of course. When I buy fresh chicken at my wet market I always have to say: please no feet, no head, and no insides. (so wasteful, I know).
These are free-range chicken eggs:
Here is where I spend a ton of time:
These friends of ours have been making us these noodles for years. These are wheat noodles popular up north and a muslim specialty. Our friend is a muslim minority but married a girl local to our town, so they settled here.
It is a literal 'hole-in-the-wall'.
Herschel loved it, as we knew he would. Sophia and I ate a noodle dish different from what the others ordered and both of us paid for it later, but Herschel's stomach remained fine the whole time, a huge praise!
That afternoon, as the kids finished up Star Wars #3 (shocked by the news that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's dad), David and I rode his motorcycle while Herschel followed on my scooter and we took him to the big 'golden pagoda' overlooking our town.
Inside is a Buddhist temple.
Go Gators.
A knife/sword shop. These are the real deal. You can't check these on an airplane.