Tuesday, February 17, 2009

last of the details, whew

Feb 7th-8th
I am regaining my strength, but avoiding all oils and fats, gross. Sophia seems to be getting worse, not better, even on antibiotics. We were planning on leaving, but the doc said wait until her fever subsides. We really don’t want this to go into pneumonia, but we are so ready to get home. We decide to wait until Monday, take her back to the doc and head home, unless her condition is more serious. She won't sleep in her pack in play, just cries and screams. What are we to do in a thin-walled hotel? She sleeps with us…and does okay.
Now that I am feeling better David decides to give me an afternoon to see a movie and shop a little, then we will switch and I will give him the evening to go drink coffee (decaf of course) and read. I decide on 'Marley and Me,' which I thoroughly enjoyed. It wasn't cliché like I thought it would be, it actually had real drama to it, not just humor. Hollywood impressed me this time, but then again, I don't see new movies much…others may hate it.
When I take over, I put Sophia down and she will not sleep, not even with me on the bed, she is so wide awake. I am so tired of this, I thought. I was despairing. What are we doing to our daughter in this nomadic lifestyle we seem to live. The hotel room felt like a box. I start crying, having a pity party and just let Sophia get up and play. She screams in her bed, she screams in mine, so out of respect for our neighbors I let Sophia parent for a while, and I pray. What David reminded me of when he returned was that this bronchial dilator medicine we just started giving her is a stimulant. Duh. I could tell she seemed pretty wired. I relaxed a little, thanked God for His mercy in even allowing us to be here to get good medicine, and we all went to sleep by 10pm.

You know the rest of the story. We leave Hong Kong after our little SE Asia tour and about cry tears of joy when we land in our little town. Wow, what a journey. One that continues tomorrow and the next day. We wouldn't trade the journey for anything, as we learn the lessons we need to learn...to love better, trust more, ask forgiveness more readily, and see our ever-present weakness in this fallen world. We thank the Father for His patience with us and for His unfailing love that is our rock. Thanks again for journeying with us.