Saturday, February 21, 2009

A new big sis

I looked at the bottom of Sophia's feet two days ago and they were clean! what does this mean? it means the floors are clean. what does that mean? it means we have a new helper. We have been without one for quite a few months now, but we have managed. And now we just hired a new girl who will be with us just a few months until our old helper comes back. Sophia has a new big sis, or Jie Jie, in Chinese. During one of her painful sleepless nights she even asked for her JieJie!

JieJie will actually live with us, which we have never done before, so it should be interesting, and should hopefully help our language. She is from a really big village not too far from us! We are friends with her family and her mom came with her on her first day which was really unexpected. I didn't know what to do, start training with her mom tagging along? well thats what I did. Her mom cannot speak any Chinese (very very little), and she had LOTS of questions during my intro to the work. what is a dryer, what is a vacuum, what is oatmeal? She gawked at my sink full of dirty silverware (our week with Sophia's ear problems kept us up many nights, so days included doing half of everything, like half of the dishes). She asked if it was all from one day? Was I more embarrassed because I hadn't done them in two days, or that I had used so many in two days? Actually, I wasn't embarrassed at all, everything in our house is foreign to her, and her house likewise, we had a good time getting through it all. She really would like us to find a husband for her daughter, she doesn't care if he is American, but he has to be willing to live in the village with her. Hmm....