Saturday, July 31, 2010

Ogunquit, Maine, day 2

7.15.2010

The bright light of dawn woke us every morning. But we still managed to 'sleep in' some. The acorns dropping on the roof throughout the night had me thinking someone kept knocking on our door. But we got used to it and had good sleep. We decided to walk to a recommended breakfast place right around the corner. On our way we saw all kinds of 'inns' and beautiful, huge houses.



The Cove Cafe. A delicious experience. Glad I don't live in this town, I would be fat, fat, fat!


I ordered the cinnamon roll french toast topped with strawberries. yum.

David ordered the cream cheese stuffed french toast topped with Maine Blueberries in syrup. Speechless is the word to best describe the taste. Both were incredible, but the next day I ordered his. My mouth is watering at the memory. We also ordered full test coffee, I love diner coffee. I got addicted to caffeine in four days, and had to wean myself off when we got home (bad headaches!).


Loved the attitude of the place....




Next we ventured on the trolley ride tour of the whole town of Ogunquit, We got the layout of the land easily.

This water looked gross. This is an inlet. if you were to go up this edge of water and take a left you would be in the Atlantic Ocean. We thought people were crazy for getting near this water and settling in for the day. Little did we know that at high tide this was the perfect spot and the water was clear (though still FREEZING). Crazy.


another view of the inlet above, taken from The Marginal Way. The Marginal Way is the #1 thing to do in Ogunquit. It is a walkway that walks the coast of Maine for just over a mile, it curves up and around, down into little coves, up on rocks, is paved and offers gorgeous views as well as little benches all along the way. Beautiful and romantic. We did the Marginal Way every day at least once.


Yes, people swam in the freezing water. Crazy people.



We walked the Marginal way back to our cabin, changed into our swimsuits and then took the footbridge to all the cutesy restaurants on the water. We ate at the Lobster Shack for lunch. David ate a lobster roll and I ate a BLT (one of my fave sandwiches, and being allergic to shellfish and who knows what else, I stear clear of ALL seafood). David burnt his tongue on the clam chowder and I was just jealous I couldn't eat it!

We walked to the beach and it was jam packed with people. We were not used to this kind of beach, people on top of people. This is because the weather was perfect, it was high season, and there really is not much 'beach' to speak of. Literally every spot of open sand was taken. We sandwiched in for a few moments before I convinced David that we had to at least attempt to swim in the iceberg water. We did it! I wasn't sure we would actually submerge, but once we were out there, no turning back. We jumped in and RAN out! We laughed at our selves and then laid down to thaw out.

After staying for maybe an hour, we took the trolley back to Perkin's Cove and then walked the five minutes to the cabin to get ready for an afternoon of reading, studying the word, shopping, drinking coffee, etc.


we returned to 'breaking new ground' coffee shop and set up camp on their porch on the water. After awhile I did some browsing in almost every shop on the Cove.


We drove into town for dinner, although we could have walked, but we decided we would try to do a movie afterward. We ate at Banditos Mexican Cafe. It was...okay. Wouldn't recommend it. Especially for Mexican food lovers like ourselves.


we used the timer to take this shot...


Lollipops, lollipops. These reminded us of Sophia, who we talked to daily.
We shopped the stores of downtown, LOVED the candy shop. I bought the end of the day reduced price caramel marshmallow thingy, yum.

We were going to see a movie in the Ogunquit theater but since we had never heard of the movie we did not want to waste our money. We decided to go to a later movie in a town about twenty minutes away. Why not? No Kids!

We went to see Karate Kid. We really liked it, being a Chinese setting and all. We were glad for our choice! Day two over.