Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Only in America...

It has only been two years since we have been in the U.S. but here are some things that are shocking us these days (or things we are still getting used to):

1. portion sizes (unbelievable. way too much for one person to eat)

2. Size of people in general (and I am not talking overweight though yes, we are not used to seeing any one with a weight problem, but I mean just sheer height and mass of men and women, we are used to being among the tallest in our small town in Asia, here we are average or below average in size.)

3. English radio in the car. We have been in the car a lot, and I used to listen to talk radio quite a bit, but even if I completely agree with the person I cannot stand the anger anymore or hype or whatever it is. It is as if that political decision will destroy the world as we know it. This goes along with the constant bombardment from news stations where everything is 'urgent' and 'life-threatening,' this can wear on the nerves. We have not watched FOX news like we used to or any news for that matter, it is sensory overload for me.

4. Diversity of looks. This is refreshing, interesting, sometimes weird. It seems many people in America are trying to stand out and be different, rare in Asia. And just God-given appearance has a huge range among Americans, whereas Chinese will never have blond hair....you know what I am saying. ...

5. Choices. I remember this being hard last time, the grocery store is a bit daunting. I had to go buy a ready made salad to take to someone's house for dinner. There were at least ten different kinds, and I had to make a split second decision. So unimportant, but stressful for me nonetheless.

6. Speed on the highway. I have always liked to drive. But I once again had to get used to going 70 mph on the highway. We don't travel by car on a highway much at all in Asia, we just taxi around town and never go that fast....

7. Clarity of traffic laws/lanes, etc.: It is just smooth and clean, I love it. not that stressful at all! Though I did honk one time out of habit and I probably should not have. OOPS! (that sounds weird, I ride a bike, never drive in China, so how am I in the habit of honking? Ringing my bike bell, go ahead and LOL because I ring that thing all the time so people know where I am and to move out of my way, this is what you do...it is my horn equivalent and I am used to it, need to deprogram that one).

8. Sweet Tea. Shocking? yes, it is so sweet, so good, I am already addicted. I have a 'sweet tea' belly already.

9. Meat. This was actually not too shocking to us. We have eaten meat every day since we have been in America (almost). There has been no real way around it for us yet. And that is completely okay, we have been dealing with certain health issues with the girls and our goal has been ease at the expense of our veganhood. We know we will go back to at least a vegetarian diet, but with all the moving around, all the 'on the road' stuff, it has been really difficult. We have found it is so much easier to be a vegetarian in China (duh!) than here. (Don't get me wrong we have enjoyed some tasty meat dishes, burgers, chik-fil-a, no lack of tasty treats here)

10. Prices. I hate to spend money. HATE it. I can go shopping with the best of them, and I can spend money if I am getting a lot FOR my money. But that doesn't happen often (except at an Asian market). We are still adjusting to American prices for things.

11. And just to end on an odd note: vaccines. Thinking it would be easy for me to find someone locally to give Bella's 2nd and 3rd dose of vaccines I decided to order them and take them away from the clinic. This would lessen the hassle of dealing with the health department and payment and everything. Well, because they are weird vaccines (Jap encephalitis and Rabies), no one would do it. Everyone said yes at first, then asked questions and so no way. I just needed a willing nurse! Nada, nunca, zero! We called every local clinic, including all travel clinics who deal with these vaccines and because of 'liability' issues they all said no. (we do this all the time overseas, carry in a cooler of vaccines and get them administered locally). Not in America. They even looked it up, 'not covered in malpractice.' I was willing to sign all liability away, still no go. Thank God for Holly B. in Raleigh, who graciously took time to do this. She is an incredible nurse, we went to her home, she even did some research. She trusted us, we trusted her, she is a complete blessing. Thank you, thank you Holly!