I changed the theme and the crafts, and even the snacks, I kind of forgot how much prep this took. Not to mention I was sticking to special breakfast Saturday (the day of the party), and had to make coffee cake (I made it Fri night, mornings are hard without daddy around).
This was to be a 'hot chocolate party'. I put the hot chocolate in the tea pitcher. Last time the theme was 'wisdom from above' from James 3:17 (I am certain they do not remember that, though they know the verse pretty well). This time the theme was 'unfading beauty' (1 Pet 3:3-4)
I had them dress up in whichever dress they chose and told them to bring their jewelry boxes out.
After they donned some pretty stuff, we talked about the meaning of this verse. It was great for Sophia to think through the questions I was asking. This is pretty straightforward teaching here. As we got all 'dolled' up I reminded them that this is not 'bad' per se, but that this is the kind of beauty that will not last...we need to work on the beauty that lasts and that is valuable in God's sight. We dissected the verse a little and how to apply it in simple ways. Sophia hung with it...they were quite surprised when I got out a little make up. (they always want to put on my make up, which I rarely wear)
Please Bella listen to mommy and don't touch everything yet....she did have a blast despite this look of malcontent.
I put eyeshadow, blush, and lip gloss on them.
We prayed together and then had our first snack break
chugging hot chocolate and marshmallows, mini oreos, and chocolate topped mushroom shaped crackers. Yum. They loved it.
Have to send a shout out to these paper towels. They are great! found here just recently, I need to re-look for stuff because new things pop up and have been there for awhile right under our noses. Now, usually I may be tempted to stock, hoard, and hide from other ex-pats (ahem, so I have been accused). But this time I bought three packs, of the ten-fifteen that were left. I consider that self-control. Then yesterday I went back to get some for our friends and saw there were only two more left, so I bought them...what is that called? Selfishness? Wisdom? You decide.
Digression. Meanwhile, I turn on the classical music playlist, Mozart blares, and we chit chat.
Then we start craft #1: twirly sticks, wands, whatever you want to call them. I used the empty rolls from Tin foil, covered with shiny paper and then had the girls cut and glue the strips of tissue paper. They loved it.
we had another snack break, then moved on to craft #2. Window art.
I could not get these little bottles open. Lefty was not Loosey. And there was some kind of plug. I squeezed one hard thinking it was open and would come out, and there went the bright orange paint, in a perfect rainbow arch across the room. We quickly cleaned it up, and laughed a bit. I thought "david will think I am sabotaging the couches in order to try for new ones". But really after a wash it came off the cushion. Just the part below that you can't wash is still there.
We finished just in time as Tobin woke up from his morning nap!
A few hours later Bella said: Thank you mommy for doing all the tea party stuff! She really has a grateful heart, because she will remember stuff awhile after it is done and say thank you. For simple things too!
We had a great time. But we still miss Daddy. 3.5 days left, but who is counting? (WE ARE! WE ARE!)