If I can just confess that sometimes I plan fun activities for the kids, but my heart is not fully in it. For this I thought it would be messy, too complicated, and possibly frustrating for the kids (= me too). But this went beyond my expectations and we had so much fun. The teacher was so helpful, the kids did great and I just laughed and helped (very little) and enjoyed watching them have a blast.
As seen here before, we have an awesome local bakery that makes great breads of various kinds, waffle cones with yum ice cream, and decent coffee. They recently opened another location (there are about 10 in our small town). This location has an upstairs, amazingly decorated with hand-made wood furniture and with one section for do-it-yourself cake decorating. (David and I often come here after dinner on our date nights for ice cream and quiet to talk or watch an episode of 'This is Us').
For this outing, we invited A.S. to come along, and she loved it too.
They claimed their cake stand and had to put their aprons on:
At first I thought this pricey, but there was no way I could go with the smallest cake. We went with a medium one that gave them a feel of 'bigger than a cupcake', it had three layers. And we spent two hours here so the activity time was well worth the price.
Sophia decided to fill her layer with blueberry jam.
Bella said, No, thanks.
concentration, friends.
And lots of smiles.
Progress:
I love this pic: A.S. kept licking her fingers.
Wow, good looking smooth icing!
Good job girls!
Then the real fun began...do whatever you want on your cake! Go.
They each had their own ideas.
Squash blueberries on the side? No problem.
a work in progress...
Sophia's:
This is so Bella, I loved the face she made on hers!
finishing touches.
And there you have it. An incredible afternoon of cake-decorating.
And a disclaimer: these cakes actually do not taste that great from a western taste-bud experience. Standard in Asia: great looking pastries, but not sweet, the icing is just whipped cream and not very sweet. We knew this going in. They still ate most of it up and shared with our helper over the following few days.